Re: My dog arrested for being on the streets with a homeless man.

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:33:59 -0400

Catalina, I was saddened to read that your dog, you and a homeless friend
had been harrassed.  I'm glad you got Rex back.  The poor will remain the
world's kick-dogs - unless we stand up for our rights.

Your description of your dog's arrest and its aftermath is powerful
writing, a graphic example of routine police harrassment of poor , homeless
and psychiatrically labeled people.  Too often, the message we get from
people in authority is "stay out of downtown"- or the upscale neighborhood
- or the university district - or anywhere but jail, the psychiatric ward
or the grave.

The prison-industrial-complex has become our nation's policy choice of
first resort for sheltering the poor.  The rich may benefit from this
policy, but the poor pay the price.  Who will draw the line and say both
bravely and peacably "not one more eviction, not one more arrest for the
crime of poverty"?

May you and Rex have all you need, indluding a safe, secure place to abide,
from which you cannot be driven off.

Don't give up, Catalina.  The road to justice is long, and you do not walk
alone.  Carry on!

Seeking peaceful means to heomeless peoples' aims. -- Tom Boland

TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>