San Diego homeless encampment protest Mon Sept 7 FWD

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 21:27:52 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 18:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Becky Johnson <wmnofstl@cruzio.com>
Subject: San Diego Homeless Want You!

GO TO SLEEP, GO TO JAIL ?
JOIN THE HOMELESS COMMUNITY
in San Diego, "America's Finest City"

Conference to Reclaim Human Rights
Downtown Concourse   202 'C' Street
 MONDAY  SEPTEMBER  7
LABOR  DAY  WEEKEND

Bring a blanket, a friend, and a camera.
Call the Mayor of your City.  Ask for a ticket out of town.

Make San Diego a hub for homeless people,
a gathering place for the poor on this holiday.

Show the world that the homeless are human beings.
Help us regain our dignity through peaceful mass action.

Since March 15, homeless protesters have been vigiling and/or sleeping
nightly in front of government offices in downtown San Diego.

We seek the right to shelter or to sleep legally without harassment.

In mid-July, police began sweeps and seizures at the Concourse.
Signs have been destroyed;  homeless survival gear confiscated;
literature taken; food servers have been driven off.

The People's Establishment, what we homeless protesters call ourselves, has
not given up.  We invite sympathizers throughout the country to join us
in exposing San Diego's abusive policies towards its poor.

WE DEMAND THE RIGHT TO SLEEP AT NIGHT!
For more information, contact the homeless newspaper Street Light
at 619-338-9081.   Ask for Rose, Ann, Forest, Roger, or Lance. Info by
e-mail: forest@cts.com
Flyer by HUFF (Homeless United for Friendship &  Freedom)  831-423-4833
8/25/98

                        ADDITIONAL NUMBERS AND ADDRESSES
CONTACT THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL:  "Stop The Lies!  Hear the Poor!"
Mayor Susan Golding, 202 C St., Suite 11A, San Diego, CA 92101
 Phone: 619-236-6330    Fax:  619-236-7228    E-mail: mayor @sdmayor.sannet.gov
City Attorney: "Make your cops obey the Constitution!"

 GO TO THE PRESS:  "Spotlight the Shame and  Expose the Scandal! "
Write a Letter to the Editor to the San Diego Union-Tribune:
P.O. Box 191, San  Diego  CA 92112-4106  Phone: 619-293-1847
 Fax: 619-293-1440  E-mail: readers.rep @uniontrib.com
Contact the News Department and demand they cover the protest!

 SUPPORT THE PROTESTERS:   "Tell Us What You Need:  We will Help You! "
Street Light, 935 E St., San Diego CA 92101 (open M-Sat 9 AM-4 PM)
Phone: 619-338-9081   Fax:  619-338-8048  E-mail:  forest@cts.com
Needed: camcorders, tape recorders, funds, LEGAL SUPPORT, ideas, publicity,
& bodies!

END FORWARD

TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>