Re: Officer shooting of homeless woman was "within policy",

Thomas Cagle (nh-adapt@juno.com)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:16:12 -0400

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:50:10 -0700 (PDT) Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net>
writes:
>FWD  CC Replies To: "Janice Dubiel" <janice_dubiel@email.msn.com>
>
>Why is it that when the police gun down another down on their luck
citizen, the
>media and the police will immediately annouce that the person had some
form of
>mental illness?  They don't announce the persons they've murderered have
>diabetes or any other ailment.

Actually dear list readers it may be worse than that. The numbers of deaf
people who are arrested and or shot goes largely unreported. Guilty or
not they are routinely not told a thing in a language that they can use
during arrest OR hearings. This problem is country wide from border to
border.

Find a deaf listserve and ask around the stories will be legion and grim.

If you want to imagine a lethal use of forse (and in my book thats when
the pistol comes out of a holster) more fultilely put into use, tell the
back of a deaf man to halt or you'll shoot.

Tom C