Fw: Stopping Homelessness

H. C. Covington -- I CAN America (icanamerica@email.msn.com)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 01:26:06 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: CRISSMAN, ANN <acrissman@advanta.com>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: Stopping Homelessness

I have been a  passive reader of this list.  The below discussion
tapped into a couple of questions regarding social services for the
homelessness and low income income population and the needs assessments
there of.

At a housing conference in Utah last week a side topic was
discussed, which can be a  direct factor of the below:
Many low income housing projects are inhabited with immigrant
workers and their families. I have been wondering how this affects statewide
and national statistical reporting on poverty, levels of homelessness and
affordable housing needs.
Does the below population replace the lower wage earners as the
others move onto better employment - or do they inflate the statistics?
What percentage of immigrants receive social services and/or
affordable housing that are not US Citizens?
What are the trends for other comparable nations to the U.S. in this
issue?   What nations are exporting the most immigrant workers who accept
sub standard wages in other countries such as the US?  If the quality of
life for an immigrant is better with sub standard pay in an extremely
expensive US, what can be done to help these other countries evolve
economically without the financial burden?    Who's problem does it become
and how is it better solved?