Re: Work For Shelter - NYC's new policy of "self-sufficiency"

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@idirect.com)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:28:08 -0400

At 06:43 PM 10/26/1999 -0700, Tom Boland wrote:
>What's your opinion of the "Work For Shelter" policy in New York City?
>
>Would it help homeless families and individuals in your town toward
>economic "self-sufficiency"?
>
>Why or why not?

So now the City of New York is handing down summary death sentences for
noncompliance with slave labor?

This is nothing more than economic blackmail - people being bullied into
compliance through the threatened withdrawal of even their most basic
needs. This is a classic example of abusive (note the spelling) power and
is of no possible social or economic benefit to the 'recipient.'

No wonder my blood pressure's been in the stratosphere lately...

--
Graeme
<http://webhome.idirect.com/~gbacque/gbacque.html>