Re: Boston homeless shelters overflowed all summer, MHSA

Grassroots Media Network (gnn@grassrootsnews.org)
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:32:58 -0500

Howdy everyone,

I have some reservations about the Salvation Army having any say in
research on homelessness here in Austin.

SA is a business style non-profit. They work on making programs that take
as little money as possible so the salaries of the top officials can stay
high. The SA in Austin will inflate the numbers when they want to build a
new facility and need city approval and deflate the numbers when they want
to save money and justify spending less and less on social programs.

Most of the homeless people in Austin will not go to SA due to their
Fascistic rules. They lock people in at night and restrict the number of
days people can spend there. I know many people who have never been there.

Also the climate in Austin is usually mild and many people can adequately
live outdoors for most of the year. This would naturally cause the numbers
at SA to be low.

I personally know 30 or so people who are homeless in Austin and I'm sure I
don't know everyone on the streets by a long shot.

When we had the Monday night film showing we had about 10 homeless people
attend. You can't tell me we had about 1/5 of the homeless population of
Austin there.

I think attendance at the shelters depend on the agency providing the
service and the climate.

Many people in the homeless community are meeting this coming Sunday at
Cafe Mundi at 2pm at 1707 East 6th St in Austin to discuss what we can do
to move forward in Austin. I personally would like to discuss the
discusting no-camping ordinance and the attacks on homeless people by the
City of Austin in the name of big money. We should also try and get as many
people connected with this list as possible.

Comrade

At 02:25 PM 10/20/99 -0700, you wrote:

>> In your community, are shelters overflowing earlier
>> and earlier each year,
>> as winter approaches?  If so, why?  What can we do
>> to stem increasing
>> homelessness?
>
> IN AUSTIN we have no problem housing all the Homeless
>in Austin. IT is a true fact that the SALVATION ARMY
>HAS DONE A VAST AND INDEPENDENT STUDY OF THE HOMELESS
>POPULATION
>As a matter of fact they have some nights where there
>are only 15 homeless adult males in Austin  and most
>of the time there are less than ten that are sick
>during the summer months.  Most of the Year there are
>in there estimates 57 homeless males in AUSTIN TX.
> Our population has just surpassed 1,000,000 and
>Austin is generating over 3,000 new jobs per month.
>The head counts remain stable at the Salvation Army
>(it has only 57 beds) as it prepares a new shelter for
>the homeless that the city claims to need. The problem
>is that they can't colaberate as Police keep on
>picking up transiants at an allarming rate. Keeping
>the cycle spiraling upwards with there rental of
>supervised spaces for the (camping ordenance)
>criminals that are now being sentanced for 8 months
>first offence, generating an even larger need for more
>jail space.  It is my observation that with all the
>given figures available that the numbers are of there
>capasity throughout the year. Those that came to the
>conferance  saw the conditions here, and many of the
>facts were well explained and re-defined.
>
>> FWD  Associated Press - AP Wire Service - Oct 12,
>> 1999
>>
>>      HOMELESS SHELTERS OVERFLOWED ALL SUMMER, SAY
>> ADVOCATES
>>
>> BOSTON (AP) _ Homeless shelters throughout
>> Massachusetts
>> overflowed for the first time ever during the summer
>> months of
>> July, August and September, homeless advocates
>> announced.
>>
>> ``It's the kind of record we hate to announce,''
>> said Philip
>> Mangano, executive director of the Massachusetts
>> Housing and
>> Shelter Alliance, which has collected data from
>> shelters for a
>> decade.
>>
>> ``We are fighting a losing battle as more and more
>> people come
>> to our front doors,'' Mangano said Tuesday.
>>
>> The problem is not limited to large cities, he said.
>> Shelters
>> also turned away homeless people for the first time
>> during the
>> summer in Northampton, Lawrence, Leominster, Salem,
>> Lynn, Quincy,
>> Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Cambridge and
>> Somerville.
>>
>> ``We've never experienced, ever, so many people, so
>> long into
>> the year _ there is no precedent for a summer of
>> overflow,'' said
>> Frank Keough, director of Springfield's Friends of
> [...]

The Grassroots Media Network
1602 Chatham
Austin, TX 78723
(512)459-1619
gnn@grassrootsnews.org
http://www.onr.com/user/gnn

To recieve daily general news or queer news posts  please send a message to
gnn@grassrootsnews.org
with "add me to gnnnews" (for general news) or "add me to queernews" (for
queer news) in the subject line. (high traffic lists)

The GMN supports the following organizations:

http://www.koop.org - KOOP Radio
http://www.koop.org/news.html - KOOP Daily News
http://www.onr.com/user/gnn/comite - Comité de Solidaridad con Chiapas y
México
http://www.onr.com/user/gnn/film - Grassroots Film & Video Festival
Pueblos Unidos Community Center
& The Tejano Artists Museum

*Grassroots Media Network, Grassroots News Network,
Queer News Network, Grassroots Film & Video Festival,
Grassroots Culture Jam, and Theoretical Ammo
are trademarks of the Grassroots Media Network