Re: Shopping Cart Rights - Homeless Win In San Francisco, CA, USA FWD

mikala bembery (mikalabeit@hotmail.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:21:38 PDT

Hey,
I remember, it must be almost ten years ago now,Big D supermarket used to
pay someone with a pick-up truck to drive aroundthe surrounding
neighborhoods and recover stray carts. Being that alot of the people didn't
have cars the shopping cart retrival technian was never without employment.

It sure is funny how as people we put the cart before the horse when we put
so much energy into "consequence issues" rather than seeking out real,
systemic solutions.

By the by, I once saw a news story about this shopping cart
issue/consequence. Industry claims that those carts are around
$500-600 each Too bad that their isn't a heavy back market for
shoppingcarts, then we could sell them and pay some of the fair market rent.

               Mikala