Fw: Homeless to get Identification Numbers to Receive Services

H. C. Covington -- I CAN America (icanamerica@email.msn.com)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 01:37:02 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01BF16AD.C7C6A1A0

----- Original Message -----
From: John Statler
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: Homeless to get Identification Numbers to Receive Services

How little social support can we get a way with? That is the
question I believe gets answered with ID cards.

There was a time (at least I remember 30 years ago) when there
were no flea markets and Goodwill and the Salvation Army stores
were places to find *very* inexpensive clothing and household
goods. In fact, if you asked at the counter you could get almost
anything free, or for just a few dollars.

Today, these same places charge *not very* high prices for used
goods. There are good reasons for this. In the late 70's flea
markets came into being. Middle class people needed financial
support so there was a market for used goods. A business
developed where stuff was bought from Goodwill then resold at flea
markets. Naturally, that scam stopped when Goodwill raised prices
to the flea market level.

I believe the demand on social services (either state-run or church-
run) is so high that there needs to be a way to limit access. ID
cards would provide tracking, not of people's needs, but of goods
and services. As middle class needs for social services grow, the
ID's would provide valuable information on how to limit service
access for the poor so more was available to the middle class.

My experience with social services is that the more likely I appear
to be on the track to regaining or attaining middle class status my
opportunities at least double. Social workers go out of their way,
i.e. are willing to break a few rules, to help someone who is more
like they are.

Economics is the study of the distribution of scarce resources. If
resources are not scarce, there must be way to make them so, i.e.
diamonds and gold. If the resources are scarce, there must be a
way to limit access to them. I believe the IDs are a way to limit
access.

The depression gets worse until there is revolution.

John in Medford, Oregon

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01BF16AD.C7C6A1A0

----- Original Message -----=20