Re: SF Mayor's Shopping Cart War

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@idirect.com)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:59:05 -0400

--=====================_24787541==_.ALT

At 09:26 PM 10/11/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>10-11-99
>Perhaps it is time to recall,or request that Mayor Brown quietly ride off
>into the sun set?
>  I am not proud of politicians whom have to "LORD" it over some one that is
>disadvantaged,mainly due through societys negative out look that is
>projected by such a huge bumbling idiot,hey Willie Brown you are welcome to
>eat with FNB at the next food pass out ....He would not show unless it were
>to persecute some more displaced persons.
>  We here in New hampshire invited our Governor to come sleep with us or to
>eat a meal at the local soup kitchen,you know he did not show!!!!
>  It is so very much a hypocrites style to do a 180 when the pressure is
>on....Perhaps the HPN could get enough people to sign a petition to have him
>removed for malfeasance????This public and private harrassment has to be
>violating civil rights ,maybe some one should call civil liberties if they
>have not yet?
>  I will tell you that I am surprised that the police have not refused to do
>his dirty work,as most police do have some kind of scruples...I realize they
>were ordered to do this and it had to come down from the top dog.
>  Any how I am appalled at this Nazi type of tactic,that he has implimented
>history has shown that this conduct begets its own kind of just rewards....
>  My prayers go out to you my brothers and sisters,and if my voice can help
>you I hope that I can!
>                                                    Sincerely Bill Tinker

I share your sentiments about Mayor Willie Brown... keep in mind that
you're heading into an election year and like all politicians he is
currently engaged in tweaking as many sensitive public buttons as he can
get his hands on.

Where we are apt to disagree is in regards to the police response. My own
experience with the cops is that for the most part they are complete power
junkies and ego-freaks who get off on perpetrating this kind of systemic
abuse even more than the politicians themselves do.

In Toronto (Canada) we've just emerged from a summer of 'target policing'
where the City shelled out upwards of two million $  in cop overtime to
flood low-income 'hoods and downtown parks with extra police patrols - the
excuse was this was supposed to serve as a 'deterrance to crime.' (Our
incidence of crime hass, incidentally, been way down from what it was a few
years back). In any event, anyone who had the temerity to be poorly dressed
or visibly homeless in a public place found themselves being ruthlessly
harassed.

Now as we head toward another winter (with our own massive shortfall in
emergency shelter space) we've got a member of our own City Council coming
up with his own harebrained scheme to make it illegal to sleep on the
streets of Toronto, and proposes rounding up homeless people and
essentially storing them under giant plastic bubbles.

Changes expected to Ontario's provincial legislation which will make it
illegal to attempt to survive through panhandling or squeegeeing, and that
will greatly expand and enhance the powers of our Mental Health Act are
what will likely supply the muscle to this scheme.  It seems like there
isn't a city anywhere in N. America anymore where poor and homeless persons
can hope to dwell in safety from persecution by the state.

--
Graeme
<http://webhome.idirect.com/~gbacque/gbacque.html>