Fwd: [PPEHRC]:4 Marchers Arrested

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@idirect.com)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 15:06:44 -0400

----------forwarded message----------
From: <kwru@libertynet.org>
Subject: [PPEHRC]:4 Marchers Arrested
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 14:56:46 -0400

October 10, 1999: At approximately 1:45 PM today four
marchers from the March of the Americas were arrested.  They
were leading the over 100-strong march over a bridge in
Havre de Grace, MD, exercising their first amendment rights
in a peaceful and orderly way.  Police raced ahead of the
March, cutting off the lead marchers.  The police ordered
the March back, yelling, ' What is the problem, you
don't understand English?'  As Cheri Honkala was
trying to explain to the police that many of the Marchers do
not, in fact, speak English, and requested a moment to
lead them off the bridge in a peaceful way,
the police kept yelling, and then arrested four marchers.
They were arrested as the rest of the marchers were trying
to turn around and get off the bridge. At no time before the
arrests were we told what laws we were allegedly breaking.
They police just kept shouting, get off the
bridge! over and over again.

Cheri Honkala, National Spokesperson for the Poor
People's Economic Human Rights Campaign and Director
of the Kensington Welfare Rights Union; Shane Claiborne of
the Simple Way; Kristin Betts of the Kensington Welfare
Rights Union; and Alison Krieger were arrested.  The rest of
the Marchers walked off the bridge and sang freedom songs as
we waited to be shuttled over the bridge in vehicles.  At
this time, we do not know what crimes the four marchers are
accused of, or when they will be released.  We are
continuing to march.

You can follow the March of the Americas on the web at:
http://www.libertynet.org/kwru

For more information contact:

Kensington Welfare Rights Union
NUHHCE, ASFCME, AFL-CIO
PO Box 50678
Philadelphia, PA 19132-9720
Phone: 215/203-1945
Fax:  215/203-1950
email: kwru@libertynet.org
web: http://www.libertynet.org/kwru

---
Economic Human Rights Campaign updates are distributed via
the "kwru-announce" email list. To subscribe, E-mail to:
<kwru-announce-off@libertynet.org>

---
CONTACT INFO:

<kwru-announce-on@libertynet.org>