Re: Fellow Workers

Jenny (jennyo@intergate.bc.ca)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:45:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi - I am an unskilled union worker (CUPW) and have found that at least
their wages allow me to support two kids.  We get nearly $20 an hr. even
when we start - these wages do not rise much - with seniortiy benefits rise.
Unfortunately in the 90s workers must start as casuals on call but have been
on 40 hrs. a week recently with the xmas rush.  I tried to support kids for
yrs. on minimum wage ($7.15 an hr. here) or slightly higher and found it was
impossible.  My other union job (BCGEU) is not unskilled - I had to return
to university (had 1 yr. in before I had my kids) and take student loans in
order to get it.  Had to borrow so much money that I dropped out again and
now go part time 1 semester a yr. on a low income grant.  But it was enough
to get into the field as a support worker in a shelter (transition house) -
we get $15.35 an hr. altho this is under negotiation as our contract has run
out.  I did not like unions when I was younger but after trying for yrs. to
support kids on low wages I think differently now.  Supporting my kids also
gives social services less control over us and our lives.  I have had social
workers in the past come to my home with a camera and take pictures as
evidence of neglect when I was working long hrs. and did not have time or
the energy to do housework.  Altho I admit I am still afraid of them and
have a cleaning company come in every 3 wks. or so to make sure that they
leave us alone (social services).  The gov't in Canada does not enforce
child support - you can get a court order here but it is really just a piece
of paper.
Jenny