Re: Poort Korean Parents Dump Children

Jenny (jennyo@intergate.bc.ca)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:44:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi - well in Canada giving up your children forever was the only choice
single mothers had for a long time.  I grew up near an unwed mothers home
and in the 50s and 60s there was no choice unless your family would help
you.  Womens wages would not support a child and welfare was not available
to unwed mothers until 1968.  Even today poor women are targeted for
intervention by social services.  I gave my older daughter to friends
because of poverty (was also threatened with apprehension by social services
because of her hyperactiveness) in 1991 and she just recently returned to my
care in July 1998 as her "foster parents" were abusive - she was apprehended
from them in 1996 and they started hitting her again in 1997.  Before this
they had tried to cut us off from visitation (which I only got 4 times a
year) and adopt her.  The only reason that I can support two kids now is
that I have two union jobs.  Also here and in the US in the 1930s and 40s
kids were regularly scooped from two parent families because of poverty;
social workers thought the kids would be better off in middle class homes
and would forget all about their blood relatives.
Jenny