Query: Economics

Unca Jones (best-smith@TRIAX.COM)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:22:23 -0800

Francisco Lopez wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I've been lurking in the list for a while and is time to contribute with
> my two cents.
>
> Before addressing the issue on his message, I want to briefly introduce
> myself.  I was homeless 7 years ago, and for some circumstances related to
> some failed business and needed time for a sabattical, I went back to the
> streets, now for three months, although in my way out, thanks God.
> Curiously, I am an economist, with successful experience as an investment
> banker, and made rich lots of people.  Now I'm devoting my time and
> energies to do what I was trained for: correct economic disequilibriums
> and their consequences, homelessness among them. May be some day I will
> send an example or two to the list, in a version more amiable for the
> layperson, derived from the models I designed.
>
> Now to the issue of basically forced praying before meals. I found very
> immoral to basically force a person to engage in acts he or she may or not
> believe in, just to get the satisfaction of a primary need, like food and
> shelter.  This is not the excercise of the free will embeded in the
> deepest principles of the world's religions and philosophical systems.
> This is just to choice between listening to whatever is needed to be
> listened to and have a meal or shelter.
>
> >From the judeochristian standpoint, this can be traced to the Job
> experience and the question from the Devil to God "Take from him [Job]
> everything he have and see if he will not damn you in your face." The
> Devil was questioning the love of Job for his God. In other words, Job
> loved God because of the good things God provided Job and not because what
> God represented, in terms of the ultimate form of goodness and love.
>
> Will a homeless person in need will love the teachings of a Church because
> of the things embeded in them or because of the food and shelter? In the
> ansence of these, will the homeless person in need wil still go to the
> church?
>
> May be, if the teachings appeal to him or her, otherwise, the feeling of
> prostituing the soul for food and shelter may remain deep in their
> conscience as a very immoral period of their lives.
>
> If God exists and it is in the form the judeochristian bible says it is,
> God will see better those who give their love unselfishly and respecting
> the most valuable tie to God and nature: our intelligence and free will.
>
> There is nothing bad to take advantage of those who prey in our needs for
> their ideological and religious purposes. Just keep your free will.
>
> May be is true that freedom is when one had nothing else to lose...but
> your free will.
>
> The best luck to all sharing this pain. You can count that if I get my
> act put toghether, the homeless will have a a strong advocate for the
> ending of their situation.
>
> Francisco
Francisco;
     As a layman interested in helping the homeless condition (my intro
was posted last month depicting a decade of street life) I am curious
about any ideas that may work in retraining, rehabilitation and basic
services for the less fortunate. I currently own/operate a contracting
company in the Portland, Or. area, however, what I consider to be
misleading statistics concerning homelessness and an "improved" economy
at a time that welfare services are pared back or even eliminated has me
convinced that these statistics are "cooked". I am seeking information
with the idea of creating habitat co-op training and rehab centers that
would provide live and learn environments, similar to what I am hearing
being done on the East coast, where participants are active in all
stages of habitat creation, thereby encouraging trade and social
management skills within the individual, building self confidence and
esteem as well as viable trades to include computer literacy, product
production and marketing and construction skills as well as artistic
encouragement with the idea of promoting self employment, empowerment.
Any help (I am not an economist and wish to avoid as many money wasting
trevails as possible) would be greatly appreciated.
     Also, to the group at large, I am requesting suggestions as to the
type of services, training and facilities needed, overlooked or desired
in such a program.