Re: Giving Thanks

Flower Child & Zephyr (nternet@c2i2.com)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:45:39 -0700

A WONDERFUL thanks-giving for today !!!

With the Internet and helpful operatives there like Tom Boland's
Homeless Peoples Network, we can pay tribute to those who help us
(and reveal those who did else!).

I think it's going to take a lot more work to deliver that faith
and compassion to the hearts of the cruel and greedy.  The
targets are so small and so many!

Thank you, Unca Jones.
Loving all of us this Thanksgiving,
           Flower Child              from alt.gathering.rainbow

-----Original Message-----
From: Unca Jones <best-smith@TRIAX.COM>
To: HPN@aspin.asu.edu <HPN@aspin.asu.edu>
Date: Thursday, November 26, 1998 12:32 PM
Subject: Giving Thanks

As tough as life can be thanks can be found in simple things.
Thought
I'ld share one or two:
1. I lost my kids eleven years ago in a messy divorce, my custody
taken.
I was reclaiming my life from substance abuse that bottomed out
with me
back on the road, no money for a lawyer (my ex had already
utilized the
free legal aid available in our area). Within five years my ex
had
shipped my son off to a foster home, a bizarre action considering
her
job as a youth advocate for Children's Services that had her
devoting
plenty of time for others but none for her own. Last month my son
called
- runaway from a string of abusive situations within state care.
I have
now regained custody and my son is finally in a family that
cares, ours.
2. I'm thankful for the programs that allowed me time to rebuild
my
life, for the Couch St. hotel (Portland), for dear friends like
John
Deluca, Ken Keller, Marco and others who recognized my
determination and
helped my fledgling efforts in theatre and music.
3. I'm thankful for my wife Lynn, who also recognized and
supported my
continuing drive toward success in business through tough and
dark
times, allowing me to invest the little extra money we've had
over the
last ten years so I have been able to realize my art.
4. I'm thankful for HPN, caring enough to provide a forum that
allows me
to feedback my small victories, keep abreast of troubling
developments
and urging participation that I may help others.
5. I'm thankful for the guardian angel who has worked overtime
steering
me towards all these wonderful, compassionate people.
God bless to all, may faith and compassion heal the hearts of the
heartless and deliver all from the cruelty of greed.