Fwd: Cobblestone Youth needs your help

Bonnie Briggs (s248_1132@hotmail.com)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:07:48 PST

Drums in the park
Hi gang,
  Thes are the young people in Cobblestone Theatre. I've seen their
show. It's great. it rally shows what life on the street is like for a
young person. It should not be missed. Anyone want to see it? Just
contact Mixed Company. Just tell them Bonnie sent you.
Bonnie

>Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:06:37 -0500
>To: Bob Olsen <bobolsen@aracnet.net>
>From: mixedco@echo-on.net (mixed company)
>Subject: Cobblestone Youth needs your help
>
>Dear Bob Olson,
>
>I'm the project coordinator for Mixed Company's Cobblestone Youth
Troupe.
>We have a new play developed by street youth which shows the reality of
>street life and help to humanize the issues and create understanding,
>compassion and positive action around this growing problem.
>
>We can offer this lively musical show for FREE or at a very low cost to
>service providers, youth and women's shelters, conferences, festivals
etc.,
>-- any where  where homelessness, poverty, violence, youth and women's
>issues are of importance.  The main goal of the show is to both educate
and
>empower.  We can do either a 10- 15 minute excerpt or the whole show
(about
>one hour).  This show is absolutely fantastic.  The original music is
>great, the scenes are real and it all comes straight from the heart, by
>people who have a true understanding of the issues.
>
>We are able to tour the show from November 23rd until mid-December.
Shows
>in the new year are possible too, but we can't guarantee that they will
>still be free, we may have to charge a small fee.
>
>Please let people know about this!  It's imperative that the message
this
>show brings is brought to as many people as possible.
>
>Thank you,
>Sincerely,
>Laura J. Forth
>Project Coordinator
>Cobblestone Youth Troupe
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>Oct 1, 1998
>
>Mixed Company is gearing up for its fourth season of the Cobblestone
Youth
>Troupe.  Cobblestone Youth features performances by at-risk youth who
have
>all lived on the street.
>
>In addition to touring last year's hit show, Spare Change, this year's
>troupe is in the process of developing  a new show which will tour this
>fall and winter. This dynamic group of 6 young women and one young man,
>have come together in strength and courage to explore the affects of
>oppression, and violence in their lives. As young people who have been
on
>the streets , the issues of family violence, substance abuse, sexual
and
>emotional abuse as well as the brutality, and despair found on the
streets,
>hit "home" on a very personal level.
>
>The troupe works with a professional director (Simon Malbogat)
playwright
>(Luc Iogna) and designer (Ruth Howard) through Mixed Company, a
not-for
>-profit theatre company which in addition to their regular professional
>season, also works with communities to develop options, alternatives
and
>solutions to social issues, through an interactive dramatic process.
>
>By coming together as a group, the Cobblestone Youth Troupe, has
breached
>the wall of isolation that prevails on the street,  and will bring the
>issues back to the community. The troupe is currently booking the show
>tour in various community centers, drop-in's, festivals, etc.  By doing
so,
>the Cobblestone youth troupe, gives voice to the issues, as well as
creates
>a forum for problem solving. Cobblestone Youth Troupe is also speak ing
>out  about their experiences on a public and political scale,
bringing
>the show to different  committees, conferences and other policy making
>events.
>
>To experience this exciting, ground breaking show, your group, or
>organization can contact the Troupe through Mixed Company @(416)
588-8580

>As well as the new troupe tour, Spare Change, last year's hit
performance,
>is continuing to tour. Spare Change is a collective creation based on
the
>real-life stories of  4 courageous young women who have beaten the
streets
>and have their lives back on track.  The play details the reality of
street
>life -- the horror, the hopelessness and the pain -- but also the
drive,
>determination and the will to survive. They are kids who opted out of
the
>system due to abuse and misunderstanding, but these women are not
victims
>-- they are survivors.
>
>This lively show includes live music created by the troupe and has
toured
>shelters, drop-ins and youth services programs in the Toronto area
>including Stop 86, Evergreen, Delisle Youth Services and Jesse' Centre
for
>Teens.  (a more detailed list is available on request).    Cobblestone
>Youth  also  performed at the St. Lawrence Centre  as part of Raising
the
>Roof, a benefit to help the homeless.  They  performed side by side
with
>Paul Gross, The Royal Canadian Air Fare, Second City, Sandra Shamas and
>others.
>
>The interactive portion of both shows allows fellow street-youth in the
>audience the opportunity to develop their own options, alternatives and
>solutions to familiar street situations.   The play not only entertains
and
>educates, but more importantly, give credibility to street youth issues
and
>instills a sense of empowerment in all who participate.
>
>As Cobblestone Youth enter the coming year, new skills are being
learned,
>and the project is expanding. Last year's Cobblestone Youth alumnae
>continue to work with the group as peer educators.  They are actively
>taking part in office administration, stage management and production
>management, expanding their computer, business, and secretarial skills,
as
>well as working with the new troupe. By encouraging and empowering
fellow
>street youth, the  peer educators have brought Cobblestone Youth to a
new
>and exciting level.
>
>IF YOUR ORGANIZATION WANTS A COBBLESTONE YOUTH TROUPE PERFORMANCE CALL
NOW!