Fw: Fw: Fw: THE LOUISIANA INSTITUTE ON HOMELESSNESS AND HOUSINGDecember8-11, 1998

H. C. Covington (ach1@sprynet.com)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:57:14 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Graeme Bacque <gbacque@idirect.com>
Date: Friday, November 20, 1998 6:38 PM
Subject:  THE LOUISIANA INSTITUTE ON HOMELESSNESS AND HOUSING December
8-11, 1998

"H. C. Covington" wrote:

> INSTITUTE FEES
>
> Please check the applicable registration fee. Early bird registration
> (Postmarked by December 2)
>
> Nonprofit/government $ 150.00
>
> For-Profit $ 250.00
>
> Late or Walk-in Registration ( Dec. 8, 1998)
>
> Nonprofit/government $ 175.00
>
> For-Profit $ 275.00
>
> TOTAL AMOUNT $____________________ FAX or MAIL COMPLETED REGISTRATION
FORM:

REPLY TO HPN:

You may have missed the point in the long post I sent on the Louisiana
Institute.

The Homeless, formerly homeless, and even those small agencies without the
resourses are AUTOMATICALLY scholarshipped.

As a formerly homeless individual, it took me five years of work to be able
to Chair a state wide meeting and provide this type of opportunity for any
one who comes or wants to come.  We have limited the total number at this
institute to 300 on purpose and gone to the business community to support
100 homeless scholarships.

Where was I not clear?  Yes you too Graeme, are welcome to come at no cost
... what more can we do?

H. C. Sonny Covington  @  I CAN America
Chair - Louisiana Instuite on Homelessness & Housing
125 S. Buchanan Street - Lafayette, LA  70501
(318) 235-7005  Fax 318-235-7602 1-877-734-4664
hccovington@usa.net
This price schedule makes the event totally inaccessible to homeless and
poor
people and as such this undertaking carries no credibility in my opinion.
Chalk
up yet another 'liberal' event where the agenda and participants are
predetermined by a privileged sector of society. No thanks!  <see above>

I would encourage people to boycott this event and make it clear to the
organizers that financial accessibility be a necessary prerequisite for
such
undertakings in the future. <see above>

By this I'm not referring to situations where people are forced to beg
'scholarship'
support from agencies in order to participate. <see above>

Financial accessibility for all!  <see above>