Re: Mandate homeless people on nonprofit boards and staff?

Flower Child & Zephyr (nternet@c2i2.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:39:03 -0700

Hello Tom, Homeless Peoples Network, and Homeless Action
Coalition,

     As an HPN member, I'd like to point out the often assumed
idea that efforts to help the homeless need to be automatically
oriented toward making us acceptable to society, and to rejoin
that social setup as a productive member, maybe once again--if we
were previously 'employed.'  So our food needs may be met in some
more or less sporadic way, we get cleaned up so we do not smell,
find some health help, and we get trained so we can act as the
cogs 'employers' wish, and we (finally) get some portion or
timeshare of a housing facility, apartment or room.

     However, I see a whole grouping of homeless, and often whole
cadres of the young, as very dissatisfied with the values and
mechanisms of the current society.  Often that society did not
accept us at the same time we were rejecting them, and so we
became and remain homeless or marginal, even mental.  Speaking
for myself, I still believe that pulling the same social
bandwagon down the road and over the cliff is just about the most
idiotic waste of our life potentials that there could be, because
radical reverse-direction change is still what is needed.

     When we get such change going, and a lot of it is
heart-change and material downsizing and spreadout, not only will
the human parade have a sustainable peaceful future, we all will
be encompassed in it, and very likely will be housed in some way
also, even if it is in microhouses and microhouse cohousing
villages or extended vehicular communities.

     Loving you,  Flower Child
   from alt.gathering.rainbow & hpn
     http://www.c2i2.com/~nternet