Re: PIEing SF Mayor Brown was racis & elitist? Why or why not?

Flower Child & Zephyr (nternet@c2i2.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:33:57 -0700

Forgive us when we do not know what we do.
When we do not know who loves us.
When we do not know what is happening.
I've been there.
Have we all?
Keep on, this will pass, we'll meet on up the road.
        Loving us all,  Flower Child

-----Original Message-----
From: ARON KAY* <pieman@pieman.org>
To: Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net>
Cc: HPN@aspin.asu.edu <HPN@aspin.asu.edu>; fnb-l@tao.ca
<fnb-l@tao.ca>
Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 3:44 AM
Subject: Re: PIEing SF Mayor Brown was racis & elitist? Why or
why not?

pieing willie brown involved class not race....however the black
clergy
who claim to be progressive are asking the courts to jail other
progressives....due to a pie....
didnt the communist party sell out the anarchists during the
spanish
civil war? if so, its an instant replay

Tom Boland wrote:

> Was it racist or elitist to PIE San Francisco's black mayor
Willie
> Brown "on behalf of homeless people"? Why or why not?
>
> See related article below:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/
1998/11/17/NEWS10662.dtl

> FWD San Francisco Examiner - Nov. 17, 1998
>
> BYE, BYE, MISUNDERSTOOD PIE
>
> Rob Morse
>
> AS SIMPLE as pie. Nothing in San Francisco is as simple as pie,
even
> pies.
>
> Ten days ago Mayor Brown was hit in the face with three pies by
> group claiming it was "a political act" on behalf of the
homeless.

> Now the three members of the so-called Biotic Baking Brigade,
charged
> with misdemeanors by the district attorney, have been charged
with
> racism by the African American community.
>
> It's more complicated than that, of course. But basically,
three white
> smart-alecks can't hit a black mayor of a major city with
cherry pies
> and not expect to raise some hackles in the black community.
>
> "As African Americans we have suffered humiliation enough, and
here we
> are with a black mayor being humiliated again," said the Rev.
Cecil
> Williams.
>
> Williams was one of dozens of African American community
leaders and
> ministers, some of whom hadn't spoken to each other for years,
who
> appeared before the Board of Supervisors on Monday in support
of
> Supervisor Amos Brown's resolution to provide more security for
the
> mayor and the supervisors. It passed unanimously.
>
> "I wonder how they (the pie-throwers) would feel if they saw
three or
> four African Americans coming at them," said the Rev. Arnold
Townsend
> to the board. "I guess there would be a different response."
>
> A spokesman for the Biotic Baking Brigade, Al Decker, said the
black
> community leaders were playing the race card, and it wasn't
warranted.

> "The Biotic Baking Brigade has pied seven people,and six of
them were
> white men in positions of power," said Decker. "What we did to
the
> mayor focuses on his policies."
>
> By the way, Decker used to be known as "Al Baker," but dropped
the
> alias because he wants people to know he isn't ashamed of
tossing pies
> as a means of social change.
>
> "I debated Supervisor Amos Brown on TV last week, and he raised
the
> race issue three times," Decker said. "It's just ridiculous."
>
> *
>
> The ministers and community leaders who spoke before the
supervisors
> didn't talk about race only. They also spoke of how they teach
> children to settle issues by dialogue, yet pieing the most
accessible
> of mayors is treated as a joke. They spoke of how offended they
were
> that the pie gang would do this in the name of the homeless.
>
> "When you are concerned about the homeless, you don't make
grandstand
> plays to get in the newspaper," said the Rev. Townsend. "You do
> something."
>
> "They can send their pies to Glide Church," said the Rev.
Williams.
> "We'll even come pick them up."
>
> The bottom line for the pie-throwers, though, was expressed by
the
> soft-spoken labor leader Leroy King: "We want some jail time."
>
> *
>
> This was a best-of-Board of Supes meeting. After the black
leaders
> expressed their outrage at the mayor being pied, Supervisor
Mark Leno
> made a presentation honoring Dame Edna.
>
> It's tough on the faculties to go from a racial uproar about
pies in
> the mayor's face to a tall Australian guy in Queen Mother drag.
But
> this is San Francisco, and most people in the supes chamber
survived
> the cognitive G-forces.
>
> The pie in the mayor's face may not have been funny to most in
the
> audience, but Dame Edna made quite a few of them laugh.
>
> OK, it was a completely bizarre Board of Supes meeting, even by
supes
> standards. But the question I was left with, and I believe
leads to
> more serious questions, is why pie-throwing can have racial
overtones.

> *
>
> Let me say that I am sure the people in the Biotic Baking
Brigade
> intended no racial insult, and did not pie Mayor Brown because
he is
> African American. I also completely understand why African
Americans
> would be upset about it.
>
> Let us consider the image of a distinguished black mayor
covered with
> goo. It was not a pretty sight, even though he was wearing a
warm-up
> jacket and not an Italian suit.
>
> Those of us who remember the late Stokely Carmichael also
remember the
> sit-ins at lunch counters in the South where white toughs
poured
> ketchup and mustard all over black protesters' heads.
>
> Imagery counts.
>
> Let us also consider some of the racial undertones and
overtones one
> hears in conversations about Mayor Brown. Most are not overtly
racist.
> Most do not use the ugly words.
>
> People say things like, "Well, you know, he only cares about
his
> people."
>
> I say, who's that? The people of Pacific Heights? The
developers and
> lobbyists? The people of San Francisco who smile and say hello
to him
> on the street, even if they disapprove of his handling of Muni
or the
> homeless issue?
>
> No, whatever his flaws, this is an intriguing man and a great
> politician.
>
> Hit him with a pie, and the incident may make the front page of
the
> New York Times, as it did last week. Maybe it drew attention to
the
> plight of the homeless, or maybe just to the plight of Willie
Brown as
> yet another mayor saddled with the homeless.
>
> But you can understand why it draws the attention of African
Americans
> to something else.
>
> Nothing is as simple as pie in America. Nothing is as complex
as race
> and dignity.
>
> EBD FORWARD
>
> HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/> Home Page