Re: Restricting begging, outdoor feeding,

Bruce Burleson (anvil@quik.com)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:40:10 -0500

Tom Boland wrote:

> 3,000+ posts by or via homeless & ex-homeless people:
> HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/>
>
> Proponents of limits on panhandling, outdoor free meal programs and
> newspaper vending claim such restrictions aim to help "homeless people".
>
> Do you agree?  Why or why not?
>

> What's your opinion about "who" such restrictions aim to help?

OK here's my take on this.  I totally DISAGREE that limits on
panhandling, food distribution, and newspaper distribution will
"help" homeless people.

These are measures typically adopted by the right-wing in
city councils, in order to scapegoat homeless people for their
respective cities' problems.  They do everything possible to
make homeless people less visible, and to conveniently get them
"out of the way."  (As opposed to passing legislation that would
address their needs, such as food, housing, health care and
employment.)

Restricting panhandling and newspaper distribution in
particular, in my opinion, is an attack on First Amendment
rights, and such restrictions ought to be opposed.

Bruce Burleson

Visit the Hammer and Sickle, and the Homeless People's Page at:
http://boston.quik.com/anvil