Re: Some comments

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:03:51 PST

Virginia,

     You know I'm quite busy these days as a webmaster and PC
technician, so I rarely get to participate in HPN like I use to, but my
question is ... did you write this? Whether you did or not .. it's
beautiful and makes a clear point that I doubt anyone that's been
homeless themselves or work around homeless persons can dispute that
closing statement, if I may quote you or whomever .. "A physical place
-- a symbolic place homelessness will not end without this sense of
PLACE". Although I've been off the streets for 16 months, come Sunday,
and will try my very best to stay off the streets, I still don't feel I
have that sense of PLACE, because I live with 3 generations of relatives
and it's not my house, and the hick town that it's rooted in, is no
where near my choice of places to make my home in. Although, as a
professional and fast approaching successful webmaster I could afford to
move where I want to be, but yet in still as a former addict, I fear
getting back into the center of that element that awaits me in the "way
larger than my present town" environment that's called the BIG CITY.
Maybe after I've been clean for 2 years and can manage my income 110%
will I leave here enroute to New Orleans or San Francisco to make my new
home and then, maybe then will I have that sense of PLACE, both physical
and symbolic in my mind and heart that comes with being homed. Right
now, I'm imprisoned in a place that I wholeheartedly do not wish to be.
Maybe that's why I spend the majority of my waking moments in
cyberspace. Once again, I'd like to say ... this is a Great Poem .. NUFF
SAID!

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://4homeless.hypermart.net/index.html?sig
P.O. Box 514 Rich Square, NC 27869 (252)539-4228
<tedrico@hotmail.com>