ALERT: Toronto Emergency Shelter Occupation of Doctor's Hospital!

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 19:15:32 -0400

FWD via A-Infos News Service  http://www.ainfos.ca/

From: ONTARIO COALITION AGAINST POVERTY <ocap@tao.ca>
Subject: Toronto: Emergency Shelter Occupation!
Date: 6 Nov 1998 05:53:35 GMT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 5, 1998.

11am

THIS MORNING, OCAP OPENED AND OCCUPIED DOCTOR'S HOSPITAL
FOR USE AS A SHELTER FOR HOMELESS PEOPLE.

We decided that we could no longer wait for Toronto
Mayor Mel Lastman to stall any longer.  There are not
enough beds in the shelter system for this winter,
and the City of Toronto is not going to do anything
until we force them to.

The Ontario Coalition Against Poverty has opened
the empty Doctor's Hospital (on Brunswick, just north of
College Street, here in Toronto) to remind Mayor Mel
and city council of their promises to put action
above words.

1pm

The occupiers are still inside, the Mayor's office will
not speak to us, and have only sent police.  Despite
a few bad apples worried about their property values,
most of the nearby resident's are supportive of the
OCAP action.

If you would like to support the opening of Doctor's
Hospital, give Mayor Mel a call and tell him yourself
at 395-6464

If you can help with blankets, food, or other solidarity,
give OCAP a call at (416) 925-6939

3:30pm  We have been given a deadline of an hour to leave the premises...

more later...

WE DEMAND A MINIMUM OF 200 BEDS.  OPEN THIS SHELTER NOW!
ADEQUATE SHELTER AND AFFORDABLE HOUSING FOR ALL!!

END FORWARD
TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>