ATTENTION! HPN & Homeless at CSF list members

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:28:31 PST

ATTENTION! HPN & Homeless at CSF list members,

      Please assist this person if you can. I've included below, his
initial e-mail to me, and immediately below that is my response to him.
Thanks!

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

_________________________
TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://4homeless.hypermart.net/index.html?sig
P.O. Box 514 Rich Square, NC 27869 (252)539-4228
<tedrico@hotmail.com>

---------

william sherrick duncan-binns <wduncanb@wam.umd.edu> wrote:
>To: tedrico@hotmail.com
>Subject: Resources
>

>Tedrico,
>
>A few weeks ago I bought a one-way Greyhound bus ticket for
>Vancouver British Columbia (Canada). I have no idea what I'll do once I
get there. I'm hoping to find a job and a place to stay (room and board)
until I've made up my mind about my future. I'm looking to trade-in my
U.S. passport for Canadian citizenship because things are bad where I
live. (Yes, real bad!) I have only thirty dollars, my birth certificate,
social security card, University of Maryland student ID card, and an
American passport to cross the border with on 15 November 1998. Please
help me begin a new life... I don't know the procedure for "American
refugees."

>The Salvation Army seemed like a good place to begin. I'm aware that
they provide emergency shelter and free food to people in distress, but
I have no immediate contacts for Vancouver except what I've managed to
find on the internet (Dunsmuir House, etc.) and I'm not sure how they'll
greet me once I get there -- if I'll have to wait in line and/or
fill-out immigration paperwork first or something. You may have other
community organizations like the Salvation Army I'm not aware of who may
be able to point me in the right direction. I will work (or volunteer my
services) to any charitable organization that'll assist me in this
critical transition. What I need most right now is information. Please
use your connections on my behalf. I am sincere and I am at your mercy.
I look forward to a response.

--------

Tedrico Latham <tedrico@hotmail.com> wrote:
>To: wduncanb@wam.umd.edu
>Subject: Re: Resources

William,

     Try the following places. I'm certain they can point you to the
best resources Vancouver has to offer. Good Luck and thanks for visiting
Tedrico's Page!

(1) YMCA of Greater Vancouver

Mission:

The YMCA is a charitable organization, a centre of community
dedicated to the development of people in spirit, mind and body. At the
YMCA all are welcome, regardless of age, gender, race or economic
circumstance. The fostering of values -- caring, honesty, respect and
responsibility -- is part of everything we do.

Area of Focus:

Children and Youth, Education, Recreation and Leisure

Location:

404-1045 Howe Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 2A9, Canada

Contact Person: Tracey Osborne
Phone: (604) 681-9622   Fax: (604) 688-0220
Email: Tracey_Osborne@ymca.ca   WWW URL:
http://www.ymca.vancouver.bc.ca

(2) Contact Nadia Foucher and Leslie Schentag and ask them for phone #s
& addresses of homeless assistance in Vancouver. Tell them Tedrico's
Page referred you.

Nadia's Info

Phone: (604) 875-9144   Fax: (604)875-0710
Email: nadiaf@volunteer.ca

Leslie's Info

Email: wy497@victoria.tc.ca

     I hope this helps and please let me know when you get situated.

Regards,

Tedrico Latham