Re: Ottawa may tackle homeless: Cabinet panel to be formed? FWD

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@idirect.com)
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 21:49:29 -0500

Tom Boland wrote:

> http://www2.thestar.com/thestar/editorial/news/981104NEW01_NA-CAB4.html
> FWD Toronto Star - November 4, 1998
>
> OTTAWA MAY TACKLE HOMELESS
> CABINET TO BE FORMED?
>
> By William Walker
> Toronto Star Ottawa Bureau Chief
>
> OTTAWA - The federal Liberal cabinet is considering a sweeping new strategy to fight homelessness in Toronto and across the country, The Star has learned.

Ottawa abandoned any responsibility for affordable housing in Canada
even before any of the provinces did. Likewise, Federal minimum
standards for social assistance provision in this country have been
abolished.

I'm afraid I find any such claims from the Government of Canada
impossible to believe. (Actually I think the word 'sweeping' is probably
the key word in this statement - as in 'out of sight, out of mind').

Graeme