[Fwd: A STATEMENT FROM DEATH ROW By Mumia Abu-Jamal]

Bruce Burleson (anvil@quik.com)
Tue, 03 Nov 1998 06:53:39 -0500

--------------DAF7C6318E3503E4EF763760

--------------DAF7C6318E3503E4EF763760

Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:59:46 -0600
To: gnnnews@tao.ca
From: Grassroots News Network <gnn@grassrootsnews.org>
Subject: A STATEMENT FROM DEATH ROW By Mumia Abu-Jamal
Sender: owner-gnnnews@rootmedia.org

(GNN)

(GNN)
      A STATEMENT FROM DEATH ROW

                        By Mumia Abu-Jamal
                    SCI-Greene, Waynesburg, PA
                      Source: Mumia@aol.com
                  - Saturday, 31 October 1998 -

                              * * *

     Once again, Pennsylvania's highest court has shown us the
best justice that FOP money can buy. Ignoring right reason, their
own precedent, and fundamental justice, they have returned to the
stranglehold of death. In their echoes of the tortured logic of
Judge Albert Sabo, they have reflected a striking fidelity to the
DA's office. If it is fair to have a tribunal who are in part
admittedly paid by the FOP -- and at least one justice who can
double as DA one day and a judge the next in the same case --
then fairness is just as empty a word as "justice." To paraphrase
Judge Sabo, it is "just an emotional feeling."

     In recent months the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has upheld
death sentences in cases where an impartial reading of
transcripts or pleadings would make an honest affirmation all but
impossible. They have ignored all evidence of innocence,
overlooked clear instances of jury taint, and cast a dead eye on
defense attorneys' ineffectiveness. What they have done in my
case is par for the course. This is a political decision, paid
for by the FOP on the eve of the election. It is a Mischief Night
gift from a court that has a talent for the macabre.

     I am sorry that this court did not rule on the right side of
history. But I am not surprised. Every time our nation has come
to a fork in the road with regard to race, it has chosen to take
the path of compromise and betrayal. On October 29th, 1998, the
Pennsylvania Supreme Court committed a collective crime: it
damned due process, strangled the fair trial, and raped justice.

     Even after this legal legerdemain [sleight of hand] I remain
innocent. A court cannot make an innocent man guilty. Any ruling
founded on injustice is not justice. The righteous fight for
life, liberty, and for justice can only continue.

The Grassroots News Network
Austin, Texas

 ** NOTICE:  In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
     material appearing in the Grassroots News Network e-mail list
     is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior
     interest in receiving this information for research and educational
     purposes.  Submissions are welcome. **

Grassroots News Network
4522 S. 2nd St
Austin TX, 78745