[Fwd: [AFIB] All Out to Free Mumia!]

Bruce Burleson (anvil@quik.com)
Tue, 03 Nov 1998 06:48:15 -0500

--------------415FE8D81889B1F81AD544BB

Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:08:33 -0600
To: gnnnews@tao.ca
From: Grassroots News Network <grassroots@tao.ca>
Subject: [AFIB] All Out to Free Mumia!
Sender: owner-gnnnews@rootmedia.org

(GNN)

        |||                                           |||
        |||             A  N  T  I  F  A              |||
        |||                                           |||
        |||   I  N  F  O  -  B  U  L  L  E  T  I  N   |||
        |||                   _____                   |||
        |||                                           |||
        |||  * News * Analysis * Research * Action *  |||
        |||                                           |||

                              *****

||/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\|/\||/\||
|| * -- ALERT  -- *  -  October 30, 1998  -  * -- ALERT  -- * ||
||\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/||\/||

                           U R G E N T
                            A L E R T
                              _____

    PENNSYLVANIA SUPREME COURT DENIES MUMIA ABU-JAMAL'S APPEAL
                     ALL OUT TO FREE MUMIA!

                            CONTENTS
                             ------

     1. (R&R!)   REFUSE & RESIST!: Pennsylvania Supreme Court
                 Denies Fair Trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal, Refuse &
                 Resist! Urges International Protests

     2. (ICFF)   INTERNATIONAL CONCERNED FAMILY & FRIENDS OF
                 MUMIA ABU-JAMAL: Mumia's Appeal Denied by
                 Supreme Court, Philly Protest November 7

     3. (PDC)    PARTISAN DEFENSE COMMITTEE: Mumia Abu-Jamal in
                 Grave Danger, NY Emergency Protests Saturday,
                 October 31

     4. (PR)     PRISON RADIO: To the Streets for Mumia! Bay Area
                 Emergency Protests

     5. (WWNS)   WORKERS WORLD NEWS SERVICE: Mumia Abu-Jamal's
                 New Trial Appeal Denied

                              * * *

                      * REFUSE & RESIST! *
                   305 Madison Ave. Suite 1166
                       New York, NY 10165
                       Tel: 212-713-5657
                       Fax: 212-822-8535
                    E-mail: refuse@calyx.com
               Web: http://www.calyx.net/~refuse/
                   - Friday, 30 October 1998 -

                              -----

 PENNSYLVANIA SUPREME COURT DENIES FAIR TRIAL FOR MUMIA ABU-JAMAL
          REFUSE & RESIST! URGES INTERNATIONAL PROTESTS

     FOR RELEASE OCTOBER 30, 1998
     Source: C. Clark Kissinger, cck1@EARTHLINK.NET

                              * * *

     Demonstrations are expected throughout United States and
internationally in response to Friday's decision by the
Pennsylvania Supreme Court to deny a new trial to radical
journalist Mumia Abu-Jamal. If Pennsylvania carries out its
threat to execute Jamal, it will be an international incident
comparable to Nigeria's execution of author Ken Saro-Wiwa.

     Refuse & Resist! National Secretary, Dr. Robert Rockwell,
said: "People have every right to be angry and demonstrating in
the streets when a court of law (1) accepts the bogus claim of
police officers made two months later that Mumia "confessed" but
none of them thought to report it at the time, (2) lets stand the
removal on jurors on the grounds of race after the U.S. Supreme
Court has outlawed the practice, and (3) holds the blatantly pro-
prosecution judge was fully justified in barring key evidence
from both the trial and the post-conviction hearings."

     The Pennsylvania Supreme Court unanimously let stand a lower
court decision denying a new trial, and the Gov. Tom Ridge has
promised to quickly sign a new death warrant.

     In rejecting the appeal, and all the evidence amassed in
over two years of hearings, the Pennsylvania Court is in step
with the national political program of both major parties to
reject appeals from death row inmates, no matter how meritorious,
and expedite executions.

     The Pennsylvania high court is elected in partisan political
elections, in which some of justices received the endorsement of
the Fraternal Order of Police which has campaigned for Jamal's
execution.

people signed a full-page ad that recently appeared in the New
York Times (October 16, New York edition) demanding a new, and
for the first time fair, trial for Jamal.

     At a conference earlier this year, the International
Concerned Family & Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal called on people to
respond to any negative court decision with immediate calls to
the media, demonstrations in their local area on the next work
day, and regional demonstrations the following weekend.

     For more information contact: Leonard Weinglass, attorney
     for Jamal, at 212-807-8646

     Pam Africa, International Concerned F&F, at 215-476-8812
     Robert Rockwell, M.D., Refuse & Resist!, at 718-875-2828

                              *****

 * INTERNATIONAL CONCERNED FAMILY & FRIENDS OF MUMIA ABU-JAMAL *
                         P.O. Box 19709
                     Philadelphia, PA 19143
             Tel: (215) 476-8812 or (203) 847-6721
                       Fax: (215) 476-7551
                       Fax: (203) 846-1937
                      E-mail: mumia@aol.com
                    Web: http://www.mumia.org
                   - Friday, 30 October 1998 -

                              -----

           MUMIA'S APPEAL DENIED BY PA SUPREME COURT.
     JUDGE RON CASTILE ONE OF DECIDING JUDGES DENYING APPEAL.

                              * * *

October 30, 1998

     In a 74 page decision the PA Supreme Court denied Mumia
Abu-Jamal's appeal for a new trial.

     We are asking people all over the world to have a demo,
press conference tomorrow October 31st and then plan to be in
Philadelphia Saturday, November 7th.  More details of the
demonstration to follow in the next few days.

     In the meantime get people together and hold press
conference about this terrible travesty of justice.

                              *****

                  * PARTISAN DEFENSE COMMITTEE *
                P.O. Box 99, Canal Street Station
                    New York, NY 10013-0099
                       Tel: (212) 406-4252
                E-mail: 75057.3201@compuserve.com
                    - Friday, 30 October 1998 -

                              -----

      `Pennsylvania Supreme Court Upholds Racist Frame-Up'

                 MUMIA ABU-JAMAL IN GRAVE DANGER

                              * * *

                 EMERGENCY PROTEST DEMONSTRATION
              Protest Supreme Court Frame-Up Ruling!
                    Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Now!
                Abolish the Racist Death Penalty!
                            All Out!
               Saturday, October 31, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
              Cooper Union, Astor Place, New York, NY

                              * * *

     Mumia Abu-Jamal is now under immediate threat of death by
the state's executioners. Mumia Abu-Jamal is an innocent man, an
eloquent and outspoken opponent of racism and injustice who has
been hounded by the Philadelphia police and FBI since the time he
was a teenage spokesman for the Black Panther Party in the late
1960s. Jamal remained in the cross hairs of the cops as he went
on to become a renowned journalist and supporter of the MOVE
organization in the late 1970s. Continuing the decades-long
political vendetta against Jamal, this morning the Pennsylvania
Supreme Court issued a 71-page ruling endorsing each and every
aspect of his racist frame-up and false conviction for the 1981
killing of Philadelphia policeman Daniel Faulkner.

     This judicial ruling has been prepared by a sinister
campaign by the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police and its
supporters. To grease the skids to the execution chamber, these
forces recently took out a full-page advertisement in the _New
York Times_ (14 June) and other major newspapers around the
country. Only days before the ruling, the _New York Post_ (25
October) ran a rabid editorial raving against Jamal as a "cop
killer" who should be put to death. The purpose of this racist
crusade is to manufacture a climate of "public opinion" for the
legal lynching of Jamal. We cannot let this happen!

     Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge has long vowed to sign a new
death warrant as soon as the state Supreme Court ruling was
announced. In 1995, it took a massive campaign of international
protest, including by trade unions representing millions of
workers from Italy to South Africa, to stay the hands of the
executioners when Ridge had signed an earlier warrant for Jamal's
death that summer. While Jamal's attorneys fight to wield every
legal weapon they can in his defense, what is urgently needed
right now are mass mobilizations particularly drawing on the
power of the multiracial working class to demand: Freedom now for
Mumia Abu-Jamal! Abolish the racist death penalty!

     It is no accident that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling
was released only days before the upcoming elections -- as Ridge
campaigns for another term as governor -- amid a heinous,
murderous campaign of bigotry against homosexual rights and the
right to abortion, and as both the Democratic and Republican
parties promote the speedup on death rows around the country. The
"right-to-life" terrorists who assassinated Dr. Barnett Slepian
last week are the same forces who howl for racist legal lynching.
Only this week, a 29-year-old black man, Jeffrey Blake, was
released from prison in New York after his 1991 murder conviction
was shown to be based entirely on fabricated testimony. If New
York State had had the death penalty at the time of Blake's
frame-up, this innocent man would likely not have lived to see
his exoneration.

     The crusade to kill another innocent man -- the most
prominent death row prisoner in America today, Mumia Abu-Jamal --
is precisely designed to sanctify the state's machinery of death.
Jamal's case throws a spotlight on what the barbaric, racist
death penalty in the U.S. is all about.

     In a demonstration of flagrant bias, the Pennsylvania
Supreme Court ruling dismisses as "incredible" every piece of
testimony by witnesses testifying on Jamal's behalf and every
piece of evidence submitted by Jamal's defense team. At the same
time, they find totally "credible" every action and piece of
testimony by the Philadelphia cops. The Philadelphia Police
Department is so notorious for its racist frame-up system that
even the U.S. Attorney General filed a civil rights lawsuit in
1979 charging "widespread, arbitrary, and unreasonable physical
abuse" of witnesses and suspects. In the last three years alone,
hundreds of convictions in Philadelphia have been thrown out on
such grounds.

     The Court ruling also upholds every action by notorious
hanging judge Albert Sabo, who presided over the original farce
of a trial and the Post-Conviction Relief (PCRA) hearings
beginning in 1995, with the absurd statement that "our judges are
honorable, fair and competent." Sabo's pro-prosecution bias was
so blatant that even the _Philadelphia Daily News_ (2 October
1996), which generally serves as a mouthpiece for the
Philadelphia Police Department, complained that Sabo's "heavy-
handed tactics can only confirm suspicions that the court is
incapable of giving Abu-Jamal a fair hearing."

     Despite the rigged trial and hearings conducted by Sabo, a
mountain of evidence has come out demonstrating Jamal's innocence
and the tactics of lies, coercion and terror wielded by the
Philadelphia District Attorney's office and the cops to secure
Jamal's conviction. At least five witnesses from five different
vantage points told police that another man -- not Jamal, who was
found slumped on the street after being shot in the chest by
Faulkner -- had run from the scene of the shooting. The
prosecution's claim that Jamal's legally registered pistol was
the murder weapon is refuted by the simple fact that there is no
evidence at all that Jamal's gun was even fired that night, much
less by Jamal. Another central pillar of the prosecution's case
-- that Jamal had "confessed" to the shooting while in the
hospital that night -- has likewise been fully exposed as a lie.
Indeed, there was no report of said "confession" until more than
two months after the shooting.

     The Pennsylvania Supreme Court spits on the whole of this
mass of evidence of Jamal's innocence. It also sneers at the
clear evidence that black people were systematically excluded
from the jury in Jamal's 1982 trial. Yet this was simply another
instance of the racist jury-rigging which was shown to be
widespread and common when a ten-year-old "training" videotape by
the Philadelphia D.A.'s office was made public in 1997.

     The frame-up of Mumia Abu-Jamal, rubber-stamped by today's
ruling, demonstrates that there is no justice in the racist
capitalist courts. As we stressed in building labor-centered
protests during the summer of 1995 on the eve of Mumia's
threatened execution, the social power to free Jamal and abolish
the racist death penalty lies in the hands of the multiracial
working class. After decades of defeat, the labor movement has
demonstrated renewed combativity, from last year's UPS strike to
the walkout which shut down the GM empire this summer. In taking
up the fight for Jamal's freedom, the working class will be
striking a blow against an entire system predicated on the brutal
exploitation of labor and rooted in the racist repression of the
black population. The fight for black freedom is central to the
emancipation of labor itself.

     All who are committed to the fight for Mumia's freedom must
mobilize in the unions, on the campuses, in communities across
the country and around the world. Join the protest tomorrow
outside Cooper Union at Astor Place, Saturday, October 31, 1:30
p.m. Another protest has also been called by the Free Mumia
Abu-Jamal Coalition at Grand Central Station, Park Ave. South and
42nd Street, at 4 p.m. tomorrow.

     Freedom now for Mumia Abu-Jamal! Abolish the racist death
     penalty!

                              *****

                        * PRISON RADIO *
                          P.O. Box 5206
                      Hyattsville, MD 20782
                   E-mail: radioqc@sirius.com
                   - Friday, 30 October 1998 -

                              -----

                     TO THE STREETS FOR MUMIA!

                              * * *

     The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has denied Mumia Abu-Jamal's
petition for a new trial! Governor Thomas Ridge has pledged to
immediately sign a death warrant. Mumia will then have 30-90 days
to get a federal judge to issue a stay of execution. This stay is
not guaranteed, given the Anti-terrorism and Effective Death
Penalty Act of 1996 - the standards for federal review are
dramatically higher. Hanging judge Albert Sabo's and the PA
supreme court findings will be "presumed correct".

     When a warrant is issued, Mumia will be moved to "Phase II"
and stripped of whatever is left of his legal materials and
possessions, and he will be denied access to visitors.

     Getting a stay and a new trial will take all of our effort.
Turn out into the streets.

     This is to inform Bay Area activists of emergency actions:

     Protest demo tommorrow, Saturday, October 31 in San
     Francisco, CA @ 1pm at Market and Powell St.

     TMA ("The Monday After") protest, as scheduled and
     advertised previously as an emergency response, Monday,
     November 2  in San Francisco CA at 6pm -- 16th and Mission
     St.

     Another demonstration: next Saturday, November 7 1pm
     Federal Building, Golden Gate at Polk St. S.F. CA

     For info in SF: 415-648-4505. For info in SF: 415-821-0459.

     For info on the east coast in Philadelphia: 215-476-8812
     website: www.mumia.org

     Prison Radio (a project of the Quixote Center) challenges
     mass incarceration and racism by airing the voices of men
     and women in prison. Our educational materials serve as a
     catalyst for public activism.

     P.S.: In order to be on the ZAP alert e-mail list send your
     email address to radioqc@sirius.com. In order to be on the
     mailing list send us a contribution of $25 or more. Prison
     Radio/Quixote P.O. Box 5206, Hyattsville, MD 20782

                              *****

                 * WORKERS WORLD NEWS SERVICE *
                     E-mail: ww@workers.org
                     Web: http://workers.org
                  - Friday, 30 October 1998 -

                              -----

           MUMIA ABU-JAMAL'S NEW TRIAL APPEAL DENIED

                              * * *

October 30, 1998  3:30 p.m.

     Death row political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal's appeal for a
new trial, which was before the State Supreme Court of
Pennsylvania was denied today.

     The order was signed by Justice Ronald Castillo who as
District attorney played a key role in denying a new trial to
Mumia  ten years ago. At that time as DA Castillo signed all the
prosecution's briefs filed against Mumia's appeal to the State
Supreme Court.

     Pennsylvania's Governor Thomas Ridge claimed that he was
ready to  sign a new death warrant when the appeal was denied. A
death warrant might be signed as early as today.

     Activists around the country have been preparing for
demonstrations for the day after a negative court decision.

     In New York City, organizers from the New York Mumia
Coalition have announced a demonstration Saturday, October 31, in
front of Grand Central Station at 42nd Street and Park Avenue
South at 4:00 p.m. Call 212 330 8029 the hot-line number for
information.

     According to the NY Mumia Coalition organizer, Safia
Bukhari, "This decision is an outrage. We plan to fight the
racist so called  "justice system" all the way. This Judge
Castille, who signed the order, has a major conflict of interest.
Not only was he instrumental in the denial of Mumia's original
appeal, he was responsible for making an instructional video tape
that kept African-Americans off juries in Philadelphia for years.

     "We plan to demonstrate in New York this Saturday at Grand
Central Station and go to Philadelphia next Saturday, November
7th to join with our brothers and sisters there to express our
outrage at the attempted lynching of Mumia Abu Jamal."

     For information go to: http://www.mumia.com or call
     212-330-8029

     International Action Center
     39 West 14th Street, #206
     New York, NY 10011
     212-633-6646
     212-633-2889 fax
     e-mail: iacenter@iacenter.org
     web page: http://www.iacenter.org

                              * * *

                    ANTIFA INFO-BULLETIN (AFIB)
                        750 La Playa # 730
                  San Francisco, California 94121
                     E-Mail: tburghardt@igc.org

                                *

     On PeaceNet visit ANTIFA INFO-BULLETIN on pol.right.antifa
     Via the Web  --> http://burn.ucsd.edu/~aff/afib.html
     Archive --> http://burn.ucsd.edu/~aff/afib-bulletins.html

                                *

                     ANTI-FASCIST FORUM (AFF)
     Antifa Info-Bulletin is a member of the Anti-Fascist Forum
     network. AFF is an info-group which collects and
     disseminates information, research and analysis on fascist
     activity and anti-fascist resistance. More info:
                    E-mail: aff@burn.ucsd.edu
                  Web: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~aff

     +:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+
     +:        A N T I F A   I N F O - B U L L E T I N        +:
     :+                                                       :+
     +:          NEWS * ANALYSIS * RESEARCH * ACTION          +:
     :+                                                       :+
     +:     RESISTING FASCISM    *  BY ALL MEANS NECESSARY!   +:
     +:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+

          ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
   ++++ if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig ++++
  ++++ see: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm ++++

Comrade Odekirk, grassroots@tao.ca
Grassroots News Network
http://www.onr.com/user/gnn
WYMN Microradio
http://www.onr.com/user/gnn/wymn
Grassroots Film & Video Festival
http://www.onr.com/user/gnn/film

 ** NOTICE:  In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
     material appearing in the Grassroots News Network e-mail list
     is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior
     interest in receiving this information for research and educational
     purposes.  Submissions are welcome. **

Grassroots News Network
4522 S. 2nd St
Austin TX, 78745