BEEN HOMELESS? Join HPN list & talk with the REAL experts!

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 19:19:24 -0400

I hope HPN list members will forward the info below to your lists and
Newsgroups and homeless friends, include it on your Web sites.  Please help
to spread the word about our discourse on HPN.  Thanks. --Tom Boland
__________
*Been homeless?  Join HPN list & talk with the REAL experts! [repost widely]*

If you are currently or formerly homeless, I invite you to s*bscribe to
Homeless People's Network discussion list.

Our year old, uncensored list focuses on homeless people's views, news and
action alerts.  You can find well over 3,000 of our Archived posts at
http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/archives.html

Only homeless and ex-homeless people can s*bscribe to and post to HPN.
However, anyone can read our Archives.

I hope you scan our archives, whether or not you've been homeless,
especially if your work and civic activity addresses homelessness, poverty
or social justice issues.

HPN is part of the much needed effort to democratize public policy-making.
We who've "been there" deserve a place at the table where policies are made
which affect homeless and low income people.

If empowerment means anything, it means no policy would be made addressing
our prospects unless we are a part of those decisions.  In short, "nothing
about us, without us".

If you know of other folks with email access who have been homeless, or
know of discussion lists and Newsgroups to which such people might post,
please forward the below invitation to them to s*bscribe to HPN.

Or, if you have Web Pages, please post this information or a LINK to HPN there.

Thanks. -- Tom Boland, HPN listowner

*Homeless People's Network discussion list URL/join us! (repost widely please)*
__________
HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/>  HPN Home Page
ARCHIVES <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/archives.html>  read posts to HPN
TO JOIN <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom B
<wgcp@earthlink.net>

Ever been homeless?  Want to help homeless folks speak for ourselves in a
world that ignores our aims and needs?  Then read on.

I urge you to pass on the information below to homeless folks who might
have email access.  Impossible, you say?  Go to a public library, or a
community center near you, and see who's surfing the Net.

"HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK" DISCUSSION LIST (overview)

If you've ever been homeless--or are now--here's a new list just for you.
It spans three continents and a range of worldviews and backgrounds. While
some posts are personal, most focus on news, views and solutions to
homelessness.

Since HPN launched on 10-1-97, our members have posted over 2,000 messages,
about 500 monthly, averaging over 15 posts daily.  While only homeless and
ex-homeless people can post to HPN, anyone can read our Archives.
(See top of page for HPN's URLs.)

Our members live mainly in the USA and Canada, but also in  England,
Germany and
Australia.  We represent a large range of worldviews and backgrounds.  Via
HPN, homeless people working with activist groups, street newspapers and
other homeless-run projects (such as squats, centers, shelters and housing)
can share information daily.

HPN AIMS

Homeless People's Network has three related purposes, as follows:

1)  Maintain and create venues for homeless people to represent ourselves
    regarding policies, and programs and issues affecting us.

2)  Research and promote models of effectively managed homeless-run groups
    and projects.

3)  In concert with homeless people and people allied with our aims,
    work to reduce and end homelessness.

POSTING GUIDELINES

HPN will not censor posts.  Still, we encourage members to:
1) address how to end homelessness,
2) treat facts and theories fairly, (and)
3) write in a tone of personal respect.

TOPICS

Once you join, consider posting HPN an Introduction about yourself and the
groups and projects which draw your committment.  The following are just a
few of the topics us homeless folks have discussed.

*homeless people's views, news and action alerts
*reviews of policies, projects and resources
*criminalization of poverty/civil rights
*HUD housing and homelessness programs
*how to prevent and end homelessness
*problems and prospects for homeless-run groups and programs
*"systemic" vs. "personal deficit" models of homelessness
*voting vs. direct action
*homeless economic development
*inovative housing
*self-governing communities
*writing an organizers' manual for homeless-led groups
*homeless people representing ourselves where policy is made affecting us

Feel free to write on those topics, or any others you choose.

***TO JOIN HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK, email <wgcp@earthlink.net>

Leave the subject line blank, and in the first line of text write:
"s*b*cr*b* hpn <yourname@address>" (where you want mail sent)

Include the following also:
"I am currently or formerly homeless."
"I will forward members' posts only with permission from everyone quoted
  and/or named"
"I will post and reply to HPN and it's members under one name only."
  (This helps to avoid confusion as to facts and who wrote what.)

Finally, please write where you found out about HPN.***

Once you're signed up, HPN will send you a welcome post, which cites
addresses to join, unjoin or get help with bounced posts.

Thanks.  Welcome to our family at Homeless People's Network.

--Tom Boland, listowner, Homeless People's Network <wgcp@earthlink.net>
TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>