Re: Will you VOTE? Why or why not?

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@idirect.com)
Mon, 02 Nov 1998 09:59:46 -0500

Tom Boland wrote:

> Election day in the USA is tomorrow, Tuesday, November 3rd.
>
> If you are eligible to vote in the next election [in the USA or elsewhere],
> will you do so?
>
> Why or why not?

I'm not a resident of the United States, but I feel moved to toss in my own $.02
worth here.

As far as I'm concerned, participating in the ruling class's phony 'ballot-box
democracy' is only giving credibility to an oppressive, fraudulent system. What's
'democratic' about a system where marking an 'x' on a little piece of paper every
few years is the only legally allowed political franchise for ordinary citizens?

The ballot box is merely a mechanism throught which we are expected to sign away
any direct control over our own personal  destinies. We need a return to _true_
democracy, which can only happen when people have direct, hands-on control over
their own individual fate(s), and are at the same time prepared to work
cooperatively, on a face-to face basis. This is impossible within the existing
structure, which seeks to disempower and divide.
Graeme Bacque <gbacque@idirect.com>
<http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/1962>
'Sanitarium, leave me be,
Sanitarium, just leave me alone'

--Metallica, from their album Master of Puppets