Re: Feet to the Fire

Virginia Sellner (wch@vcn.com)
Fri, 28 May 1999 17:29:31 -0600 (MDT)

>To: Anitra Freeman <anitra@speakeasy.org>
>From: wch@vcn.com (Virginia Sellner)
>Subject: Re: Feet to the Fire
>Bcc:
>Nah, he does not have a guilt button-- but maybe he needs one -- where is
your article Tom for our web page and in July for our StreetViews
publication?  What about Sonny?  What about Catalina?  What about anyone
else.  We are going to post those on our page -- send me some more --
Anitra's is there already.

> [...]
>>stories of other formerly homeless people, several of whom also spoke in a
>>panel given for the entire 600 in attendance.  Each story was a refutation
>>of the individualist credo that people can make it out of any circumstances
>>on their own with enough True Grit.  All of these people had the support of
>>a community -- often a community of formerly homeless people -- reaching
>>back to help others as they were once helped.
>>
>>Our own Tim Harris was on a panel on homeless encampments (as well as
>>another on starting street newspapers), reporting on Seattle's experience
>>and the SHARE/WHEEL encampment proposal.  In addition, we heard about
>>encampments in Aurora, Illinois(successful for 14 years); Ft. Lauderdale,
>>Florida, and Broward County, Texas.  Other panelists agreed that the
>>elements of WHEEL and SHARE identified in our proposal as necessary would
>>indeed create a workable camp.  Seattle Department of Human Services head
>>Venneria Knox was there taking notes, as was Lisa Whitter, legislative
>>assistant for City Council  member Peter Steinbrueck.
>>
>>I decided to concentrate on housing workshops because even I -- the founder
>>of Over-Commitment Anonymous -- knew that I couldnít cover "everything".
>>(There were 9 different workshops going at any particular time, except when
>>we were all gathered for a special speaker.)  Housing -- not just the need
>>for it, but the complexities of policy and law and funding and construction
>>that go into actually getting it -- is such a brainbreaking issue that most
>>people don't want to even deal with it unless they're getting paid for it.
>>Everyone I spoke to  at the conference agreed that we could increase the
>>amount of housing by simply cutting the amount of paperwork.  When I got
>>home, I heard the exciting news that HUD is actually simplifying the
>>housing paperwork, cutting out 22 steps in the process.
>>
>>This conference was excellent.  I learned a lot that will help us locally
>>with Dorothy Day House, with Tent City, with expanding our other housing
>>and resources.  I was able to give other folks information about setting up
>>new shelters, about organizing groups like WHEEL and StreetWrites, I will
>>probably be visiting San Francisco to help them with their computer
>>workshop.  But I do have a dream for something more:  a national conference
>>on the order of the Homeless Women's Forum, where Andrew Cuomo and his
>>brothers and sisters in government come simply to listen, to hear the
>>"folks in the trenches" tell "them" what kind of hard work still needs to
>>be done.
>>
>>In the meantime, we're setting them an example to catch up to.
>>__________
>>
>>Okay, there were 40 of the rest of you there.  Where's your 2 cents? :)
>>
>>/ Anitra L. Freeman /
>>"Never doubt that a small group of imperfect people can improve the
>>world--indeed they are the only ones who ever have." not Margaret Mead

Wyoming Coalition for the Homeless
P. O. Box 1232
Cheyenne, WY 82003-1232
Located at 910 Central Ave. Upstairs