Re: Should feeding the poor without permits be a crime?

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@idirect.com)
Thu, 27 May 1999 18:19:10 -0400

HOBOMATT@AOL.COM wrote:

> Like any activity involving things that "attract" numbers of people (homeless
> or otherwise), ALL aspects of feeding operations need to be considered.
>    A local example; the Salvation Army runs a mobile canteen truck to the
> edge of the local welfare office parking lot - right across the street from a
> residential area. They started doing this, without serious impact. Then they
> got the idea of dropping a picnic table there to "make things nicer". Well it
> might have been nicer for the 45 minutes of dining time; the rest of the time
> that table served as a open-air cocktail lounge for the 40 oz and Mad Dog
> set. Neighbors started getting pissed off.  The table was removed and the
> propblem resolved. People who feed homeless people need to be mindful of all
> ways their good intentions impact the immediate neighbors and the community
> at large. This is a bigger "quality of life" issue than the possibility of
> poorly prepared food.   Matt Parkhouse, RN, Colorado Springs, CO

Why is it that the 'quality of life' issues of middle or upper-class homeowners
always  seem to matter more than the frequently life-and death issues faced by
homeless persons? Frankly it is the more fortunate neighbors who need to learn to
yield a little here - not the other way around.

Everyone has a right to safety but no one has any business dictating who is
entitled to live where - or to interfere with another person procuring their
vital needs. As far as I'm concerned doing so is little better than deliberate
attempted murder.

--
Graeme
http://webhome.idirect.com/~gbacque/gbacque.html