Re: ALERT: LA officials to move homeless encampment from Sunland-Tujunga

Anitra Freeman (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Sun, 23 May 1999 21:02:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, mikala bembery wrote:

> I was speaking to a friend of mine who hails from DC. She was there the week
> before the National Coalition for the Homeless conference. Her sister works
> at a prison hospital right outside DC an was unable to get time off because
> they were so busy at work.
>
> It seems that this was NATO week in DC and so the homeless must be swept
> from the sidewalks and brought to the prison hospital - I guess you can't
> have those foreign dignitaries seeing the third world nation  the government
> tries so hard to pretend is not there.

Wow, Mikala.  While I was there at the conference, it seemed to me that
while I didn't see homeelss people being harassed -- I saw one sitting
on the sidewalk, one pushing his shopping cart through a squad of
Marines waiting near the White House, about twenty eating in a park -- I
also didn't see as many of them as I would expect to see in Seattle.  I
meant to check on how many homeless there actually are in DC, and hopw
they are usually treated.

Can you tell me more?

There is no truth that cannot be turned into a lie if you just ::
take it seriously enough. ~~ There is no lie that won't become ::
more dangerous if you just take it a little more seriously. ~~ ::
			  ~~ WRITE ON! ~~ Anitra L. Freeman ~~ ::
anitra@speakeasy.org             http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra