Fw: Anti-Discrimination Laws

H. C. Covington (ach1@sprynet.com)
Mon, 25 May 1998 20:54:19 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0253_01BD881F.4985A160

-----Original Message-----
From: Blalock <blalock@PREMIER.NET>
To: WELFAREM-L@AMERICAN.EDU <WELFAREM-L@AMERICAN.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, May 20, 1998 9:06 AM
Subject: Anti-Discrimination Laws

Dear List:
=20
I am currently engaged in an economic revitalization project that =
includes a welfare reform component. The geographic area is largely =
remote rural. We are looking at the possibility of welfare reliant women =
moving into traditionally male jobs in the secondary forest products =
industry.
=20
When we interviewed business owners and managers about their feelings =
(would they hire women?), there was some hesitation, due to the "manly" =
environment that seems inherent in this industry. Can someone direct me =
to a brief discussion of our anti-discrimination laws? This would be =
useful in our discussion of this problem for a manuscript.

thanks in advance for your help,

Lydia Blalock
School of Human Ecology
Louisiana State University