Re: Numbers Dropping?

peace through reason (prop1@prop1.org)
Sun, 24 May 1998 23:05:45 -0400

At 04:12 PM 5/24/98 -0400, libby <liberty@vaxxine.com> wrote:
>Matt,
>
>At 02:55 PM 24/05/1998 -0400, HOBOMATT wrote:
>
>>I live in Colorado Springs and have worked, in a variety of settings, with
>>homeless people for over 20 years. I have recently noticed a slight but
>>perceptable drop in the numbers of homeless people living on the streets
>>here: numbers asking for food and clothing down at one charity outlet,
>fewer  folks at the soup kitchen and drop-in, and fewer men at our little
>Rescue
>
>Yep, Matt, this is the impact on allowing the market to improve its own
>economic opportunities for people ... the more jobs there are for people,
>the less people need emergency shelters and food kitchens, and the better
>the business climate is for small businesses to create these jobs, the more
>jobs will be created ... and so on ... less homelessness.  Capitalism does
>work ;-)

Very patriotic -- in a Big Daddy Capitalistic sense -- for you to think so,
Libby.  But there's another possible, perhaps far more likely, explanation
for a possible decrease in the visibly homeless  --- the budding prison
industry.

Did you know that the prison population of this great land of free
Capitalism has risen from 495,000 in 1981 to over 1.7 million today.  Sure,
this creates a wonderful new business climate for private prisons, the
fastest growing industry in the country.  Creates jobs for the prison
construction industry, prison guards, cops, judges, lawyers, clerks, etc.,
the more of these jobs created, the more slave labor is available in the
form of prisoners.

No offense, Libby, perhaps Capitalism is the greatest religion.  Just the
same, I know that more homeless people are being arrested for "crimes" like
sleeping on public space, urinating in alleys, panhandling and disorderly
conduct.  Maybe it is that factor, rather than a kinder, gentler, more
prosperous capitalistic state, which accounts for the disappearing street
people.

Thomas