Do You Sense HOMELESS WEB PAGES are actually helping?

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Fri, 22 May 1998 02:29:09 PDT

Mike,

     As usual, glad to hear someone speak highly of Tedrico's Page! It
really doesn't take much of my time to keep the news current because my
site is just like any of my clients web sites that I maintain monthly as
a web site designer and promoter! However, you are correct about the
energy part! I generally sleep from 8-10 AM to 5PM-8PM, due to the fact
that I am working all throughout the night while their is less
congestion on the internet! Also, as I develop sites for my clients, I
like them to wake up in the morning to receive an update progress
letter, which is always good news to their ears!

     About me ... I am 27 and formerly homeless for a time period of
about 4 1/2 years, across 14 states from coast to coast and from the
great lakes to the gulf! I am a former substance abuser and lack 28
hours from obtaining a B.S. in Applied Computer Science! I've been off
the streets since I returned home from a life of addiction &
homelessness in San Francisco, back in Jul '97! I've been clean since
Jul 28th 1997! I self taught myself web page design & promotion through
online tutorials! HTML & JAVA aren't really much different from any of
the other computer languages I've learned since 1985!

    When you're homeless for as long as I was, in as many different
places as I was, you kind of develop an attachment to the plight of the
homeless whiel trying to become unattached from being homeless yourself!
For that reason and more, I created Tedrico's Page on 11/02/97 and as a
matter of fact, I attribute my desire to provide online resources for
the homeless and helpers of homeless people, to my remaining clean and
sober for this length of time!

actually helping, the answer is YES! If no one elses homelessness site
is doing any good for the homeless people, Tedrico's Page most certainly
is, as evidenced by the immense daily & nightly feedback I get from
homeless, formerly homeless, and marginally homed persons, social
workers, case workers, shelter staff members, soup kitchen servers,
suicidal runaways, etc. That's one of the reasons why, unlike a majority
of web sites on the internet, Tedrico's Page does not have a guestbook!
I don't want greedy people, copying and pasting these real life, hard
core stories I receive each day, into their anti-homeless advocacy word
processing document and trying to make a buck off of these people
through il-intention publishing and selling it to the media! Are we
preaching to the converted? Not preaching, but actually teaching because
it's amazing how many homeless people their are in metropolitan areas
that have no idea of the vast majority of resources available to them,
right under their nose! I was always resourceful during my homeless
stretch and immediately took full advantage of all resources offered,
but what about those who can't read, never finished high school, can't
speak english, or lack survival and people skills! Those are the people
Tedrico's Page is gradually building up to meet their needs. Thank you
for the link and continue to due your part online .... on behalf of the
homeless :)

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/?homeless
P.O. Box 514 Rich Square, NC 27869 (252)539-4228
<tedrico@hotmail.com>