Re: Assist with Deadline?/"food stamps NIMBY" monitoring at NLCHP

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Thu, 21 May 1998 08:57:56 -0700 (PDT)

Anitra Freeman <anitra@speakeasy.org> has a midnight deadline for articles
for Real Change newspaper.  She wrote:

>The one I'm really having trouble with is a foodstamp article.  The idea is
>to write 400-500 words on getting foodstamps and using them most
>effectively.

One problem is that folks often don't know whether they qualify.  Thus a
good idea is a food stamps hotline, where advocates (not Food Stamps
workers) can advise folks on how to complete applications.

Somewhere in the article, I hope that you'll say how tragic it is that we'd
deny food stamps to _any_ needy person.  Not everyone has the mobility or
presence of mind to get to free meals, which are few and far between in
some communities.

Please mention also that the National Law Center on Homelessness and
Poverty http://www.nlchp.org/ is collecting info on "food stamps NIMBY",
the barriers folks face to getting food stamps.  For specifics, see:
http://www.nlchp.org/linkpg.htm  See also contact info from their web site:

"The National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty would like your help
with two new monitoring projects.

The National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
918 F St., NW, Suite 412
Washington, DC 20004

Phone: (202) 638-2535
Fax: (202) 628-2737
Email: <nlchp@nlchp.org>"

>Has anyone here been on foodstamps, and do you have any tips on getting
>foodstamps and on using them most effectively?

Economizing helps.  For instance, nonmeat sources of protein are cheaper
than meat sources.  Here's a tip that's helped to stretch my food dollar:
Make pancake mix from scratch, and add in some soy flower for protein.

Write on, Anitra!--Tom

TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>