Re: ALERT: San Deigo homeless activists arrested: letter of

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Mon, 18 May 1998 21:40:53 -0700 (PDT)

FWD via Food Not Bombs List-archive: http://www.tao.ca/~fnbtor/fnb-l/
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:25:15 -0400
From: Nathan <javanate@megsinet.net>
To: mayor@sdmayor.sannet.gov
Subject: Question from a former resident

[Mayor Susan Golding:]

I use to live in San Diego, and my father served his country in the
Navy. He was often stationed out of bases in San Diego. However, this
was during the Vietnam War and the Korean War. Now that these conflicts
are over, and the cold war is over, many of these bases have closed. I
can not think of a better use for these facilities than to house the
homeless, and indeed, this idea was legislated. Why then, has this not
happened? In addition, why have you arrested activists exercising their
free speech at Camp Nimitz, in a free country, on the former grounds of
a military base that was dedicated to protecting freedom? I strongly
suggest these prosecutions be given up in the interest of freedom and
democracy, and Camp Nimitz be used to solve some small part of society's
ills. Ills, created by the way, by lack of funding due to an enormous
military budget.

Thank you.

Nathan Solinsky
Kent, OH