Re: living wage RALLY May 17 c 8th district candidates: Somerville, MA FWD

P. Myers (mpwr@u.washington.edu)
Thu, 14 May 1998 12:14:37 -0700 (PDT)

This is interesting.  I have been studying the usefulness of global links
for grassroots resistance groups, to secure both political clout and
personal and collective support, and I think that, had this particular
group been linked to (or perhaps it was, and that is why it could act
quickly?) other groups fighting for decent wages, across borders of
nation-states, as well as borders of identity, more might occur.

Also, this article illuminates, for me, the way that demanding
decisionmaking at the local level, while fine-tuning problem definition
and resolution (which might have occured anyway) to local concerns, also
works neatly to place communities in opposition with one another, as we
continue to work on scarcity models.  As long as we are led to believe
that there is just not enough to go around...then we are justified in
getting what we can at the Other's expense...and the Other may very soon
live just two blocks down, in another neighborhood.

Part of why I like HPN is that it does *not limit itself unnecessarily to
what goes on in MASS or Somerville...it helps me define for the students I
conjointly teach that there are power relationships at work, and, in order
to resist these and offer transformative alternatives, power relationships
across borders must be established.  The Net is a great way to do that.

This list has connected me with colleagues globally.

Thanks for this post, Tom Boland.

Pat Myers

"To live dangerously is to live
in the Borderland, where desire,