Re: liberals pro-misfit & anti-white? - "hate the homeless" file

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Sat, 2 May 1998 22:22:39 -0700 (PDT)

It it useful to respond to hate-talk?

Well, I don't think it's helpful to answer racist, poor-bashing screeds
that crop up on Usenet, especially when referenced with White Power group
links (such as the post snipped below calling liberals anti-white).

If someone is prejudiced by fear or greed, but shows signs of wanting to be
fair to others, then I think it's worth a shot - to try to convince them to
see the error of their views about outcaste groups (such as poor and
nonwhite people).

When hate-groups mobilize to eandanger people or control social and
economic policy and practices, then I think others must speak out to save
ourselves from exploitation.  Of course, I lay no claim to a definitive
answer on how to respond to hate-talk or hate-movements.

Bias isn't always stated bluntly.  It can be couched in polite euphemisms.

I fear polite subtle bias more than bluntly obvious bias, because subtle
bias more often wins support among policy makers.  And few things endanger
hated groups more than biased institutional practices.

What do others think?  Passing the buck, I mean...microphone.--Tom B