Re: liberals pro-misfit & anti-white? - "hate the homeless" file FWD

P. Myers (mpwr@u.washington.edu)
Sat, 2 May 1998 21:06:53 -0700 (PDT)

To answer your question, Tom, there are a number of opinions.  People of
color say no...it is too draining of energies needed elsewhere to deal
with the usual racism.  Women of color, historically kept out of positions
of power within feminist org.s have spent most of their/our lives dealing
with doubled-and-more discrimination:  gendered; race-ed; age-ed; etc.

The Anti-Defamation League, however, encourages folks to visit these hate
sites, correct with laughter their slimy, divisive comments, and continue
to do that.

But homelessness is another issue, to me...it has a history of what would
seem to be an appalling degree of social acceptance that, at least in this
country's timeline, is shorter than racism (dealing with just these two
now), and has at least one period of time (the Depression) when many felt
they were in the same sinking boat...although people of color had, at that
time, the added burden of losing positions to whites out of work and out
of money.

I hate when I hear people (white) who survived say that anyone could make
it through those years, when  what one required was to be creative *and
white, to avoid the worst of the worst times....but then, whites had
farther to fall (in many ways) and less experience with dashed and never
permitted expectations/hopes.

I stay away...but watch my back, and speak out, online and in person.

(I have friends who carry mason jars when they travel in certain
neighborhoods -- rural and urban -- so they don't need to leave their cars
to relieve themselves...)

What are your thoughts, Tom?  Pat

"To live dangerously is to live
in the Borderland, where desire,