Re: Protest brings Ontario town to halt (fwd)

P. Myers (mpwr@u.washington.edu)
Fri, 1 May 1998 20:45:04 -0700 (PDT)

And a Happy May (MAI) Day to you, Graeme!  By now we can be pretty sure
that if Harris says it, it ain't so...and how did a turnout of thousands
get to be "foolish" anyway...I'll bet he's not feeling as confident as
he'd like!

Fight on!  Pat Myers

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Graeme Bacque wrote:

> mpwr@u.washington.edu wrote:
>
> >         ST. CATHARINES, Ontario, May 1 (UPI) -- A labor coalition has ended a
> > day of protest that brought the southern Ontario town of St. Catharines
> > to a halt.
> >         The protest today was the first ``Day of Action'' in the province
> > this year, after a similar series of protests shut down several towns in
> > succession last year.
> >         Protesters kept buses off the streets and closed down the post office
> > and picketed government buildngs, including the St. Catharines city
> > hall, but most schools and private businesses remained open.
> >         Ed Gould, one of the organizers, says at least 7,500 people turned
> > out for the march and rally to protest budget cuts by Premier Mike
> > Harris. The cuts have hit schools, hospitals and social services across
> > the province.
> >         Harris described the protest as ``foolish.''
> >         Labor leader Linda Rogers says Harris's remarks were an ``insult
> > added to injuries this government has done to Ontario.''
>

> What we have to do here is to consider the source... coming from a moron like Mike
> Harris any such remark can only be considered a compliment.
>
> (I'm speaking as one of the 'fools' who spent 11 hours on the picket lines in St.
> Catherines beginning at five this morning.)
>
> Happy May Day!
> --
> APA - No Way!! Toronto, June 3, 1998
> <http://web.arcos.org/gbacque/antiAPA.htm>