Re: Protest brings Ontario town to halt (fwd)

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@arcos.org)
Fri, 01 May 1998 23:09:30 -0400

mpwr@u.washington.edu wrote:

>         ST. CATHARINES, Ontario, May 1 (UPI) -- A labor coalition has ended a
> day of protest that brought the southern Ontario town of St. Catharines
> to a halt.
>         The protest today was the first ``Day of Action'' in the province
> this year, after a similar series of protests shut down several towns in
> succession last year.
>         Protesters kept buses off the streets and closed down the post office
> and picketed government buildngs, including the St. Catharines city
> hall, but most schools and private businesses remained open.
>         Ed Gould, one of the organizers, says at least 7,500 people turned
> out for the march and rally to protest budget cuts by Premier Mike
> Harris. The cuts have hit schools, hospitals and social services across
> the province.
>         Harris described the protest as ``foolish.''
>         Labor leader Linda Rogers says Harris's remarks were an ``insult
> added to injuries this government has done to Ontario.''

What we have to do here is to consider the source... coming from a moron like Mike
Harris any such remark can only be considered a compliment.

(I'm speaking as one of the 'fools' who spent 11 hours on the picket lines in St.
Catherines beginning at five this morning.)

Happy May Day!
--
APA - No Way!! Toronto, June 3, 1998
<http://web.arcos.org/gbacque/antiAPA.htm>