"Stubborn Homeless" article

Jane Jarlsberg (tbelisle@mcn.org)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:42:47 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BE7AED.DE999EC0

I think this is a very good article...it brought back alive the memories =
of
my experience on the streets.  I personally did use various resources
offered in Santa Barbara, but knew many who did not! for the very =
reasons
mentioned in the article...and my experience was in 1989-90!  so things
haven't changed much.  thanks for the info. Jane

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net>

>Does the article below give an unbiased and complete portrayal of why =
some
>homeless people avoid shelters, welfare offices, charities and other
>mainstream "service providers"?
>
>If you avoided "helpers" when you were homeless, please explain your =
reasons.

>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1999-03/29/033l-032999-idx.h=
tml
>FWD  Washington Post - Monday, March 29, 1999; Page B01
>
>     AMONG HOMELESS, A STUBBORN CORE
>
>     In City and Suburb, Some Prefer
>     to Live Outside Society's Rules
<SNIP>
>By the hundreds, they carve out territory in the shadows of prosperity,
>meandering almost invisibly from vacant lots to trash-filled alleys,
>surfacing only to scrap for spare change for the next sandwich or =
bottle of
>beer. Their reasons for refusing even the most modest kind of official =
help
>are as diverse as their backgrounds -- unwillingness to stop drinking,
>mental illness, fear of arrest, lack of privacy or a perceived slight =
by a
>representative of a social service agency.
<SNIP>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BE7AED.DE999EC0

I think this is a very good article...it brought back alive the = memories=20 of
my experience on the streets.  I personally did use various=20 resources
offered in Santa Barbara, but knew many who did not! for = the very=20 reasons
mentioned in the article...and my experience was in = 1989-90!  so=20 things
haven't changed much.  thanks for the info.=20 Jane