Fwd: [FAIR-L] Coverage of Medicare Under the Knife

Agent Smiley (smiley_777@hotmail.com)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:44:30 PST

------=_NextPart_000_6afcb82f_377ad7c9$6014bba3

----Original Message Follows----
From: SonSun1770@aol.com
To: alert@onelist.com, bay_area_activist@onelist.com,
smiley_777@hotmail.com
Subject: Fwd: [FAIR-L] Coverage of Medicare Under the Knife
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:32:37 EST

In a message dated 3/23/99 8:00:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
FAIR-L@USA.NET
writes:

<< Subj:	      [FAIR-L] Coverage of Medicare Under the Knife
 Date:	3/23/99 8:00:06 AM Eastern Standard Time
 From:	FAIR-L@USA.NET (FAIR)
 Sender:	FAIR-L@AMERICAN.EDU (media analysis, critiques and news
reports)
 Reply-to:	<A HREF="mailto:fair-l-request@AMERICAN.EDU">fair-l-
request@AMERICAN.EDU</A>
 To:	FAIR-L@AMERICAN.EDU

 Coverage of Medicare Under the Knife

 Economic Reporting Review, a weekly critique of the New York Times and
 Washington Post written by economist Dean Baker, this week takes a look
 at those paper's coverage of Medicare--and finds it to be in desperate
 need of care.

 Baker shows that the claims of a Medicare crisis, taken for granted by
 reporters, are in fact greatly exaggerated--and that Medicare's real
 problems reflect rising general health care costs  much more than they
 indicate problems with the Medicare system itself.  Although reporters
 declare without evidence that the Medicare system is "widely considered
 to be antiquated," Baker explains why the privatized alternatives that
 are promoted in the press are unlikely to save money or insure health
 coverage for those who need it most.

 You can read Economic Reporting Review's analysis of Medicare coverage
 at http://www.fair.org/err/990322.html#medicare .  Also discussed in
 this edition of ERR is coverage of Germany's political crisis, and the
 press double standard over the term "protectionism."

 Each week, ERR provides critical analysis of economic coverage in the
 Times and Post, two papers that are extremely important in shaping
 national policy debates.  An archive of previous editions can be found
 at http://www.fair.org/err/ .

 Dean Baker is a senior research fellow at the Preamble Center.  ERR is
 project of the media watch group FAIR.

 Feel free to respond to FAIR ( fair@fair.org ). We can't reply to
 everything, but we will look at each message. We especially appreciate
 documented example of media bias or censorship. All messages to the
 'FAIR-L' list will be forwarded to the editor of the list.

 Also, please send copies of email correspondence, including any

 Feel free to spread this message around. Put it on conferences
 where it is appropriate. We depend on word of mouth to get our message
 out, so please let others know about FAIR and this mailing list.

 Don't miss a single email from FAIR-L.
 To subscribe to FAIR-L send a "subscribe FAIR-L enter your full name
here"
 command to LISTSERV@AMERICAN.EDU.

 The subscriber list is kept confidential, so no need to worry about
 spammers.

 You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF FAIR-L"
 command to LISTSERV@AMERICAN.EDU.

 Please support FAIR by becoming a member.
 You will receive FAIR's magazine, EXTRA! and its newsletter, EXTRA!
 Update. You can become a member by calling 1-800-847-3993 from 9 to
 5 Eastern Time (be sure to tell them you got the information
 on-line) or by sending $19 with your name and address to:

                     FAIR/EXTRA! Subscription Service
                               P.O. Box 170
                          Congers, NY 10920-9930

                                   FAIR
                              (212) 633-6700
                           http://www.fair.org/
                           E-mail: fair@fair.org

 list administrators: FAIR-L-request@american.edu

[...]

Dean Baker is a senior research fellow at the Preamble Center.  ERR is a