Global Peace Walk 1999-2000 FWD

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:01:56 -0800 (PST)

FWD non-member submission to HPN:

From: "David Crockett Williams" <gear2000@lightspeed.net>
To: "Homeless People's Network" <hpn@aspin.asu.edu>
Subject: Global Peace Walk 1999-2000
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:46:18 -0800

I spent a week in the San Francisco area during our recent events and was
able to consult in more detail with the Global Peace Walk project's
initiator, Rev. Yusen Yamato, regarding his suggestions for strategy for
conducting next year's Global Peace Walk 2000 and preparatory activities
this year including the annual Global Peace Walk from Taos to Santa Fe, New
Mexico, April 22-26.

The general goal of the Global Peace Walk project is to instill the prayer
for "Global Peace Now!" as a universal human resolve. This is the first
necessary step towards redirecting global resources from war and the
preparations for war to programs to solve today's social and environmental
crises (including global warming, ozone layer depletion, etc.) before it is
too late to save life on Earth from the otherwise certain destruction that
we are witnessing on an increasing scale in these times.

The inspiration for the initiation of Global Peace Walk 2000 from San
Francisco to Washington, DC, and to the New York United Nations 55th
anniversary, comes from the report from Proposition One for Nuclear
Disarmament in Washington, DC, to the Nulear Abolition 2000 Coalition, which
called for a cross country peace walk in the year 2000 as part of the global
campaign to abolish nuclear weapons.

With this lead issue in mind the Global Peace Walk seeks to unite in this
prayer all survival issue messages and carry them to the public and the
governments with Global Peace Walk 2000 which will end on October 24th,
shortly before the US national elections.

The Global Peace Walk is a continuation of the "walking as a prayer for
peace" spiritual practice adopted by Mahatma Gandhi and utilized in various
ways by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Cesar Chavez, the US
Continental Walk for Social Justice and Disarmament of 1976, the American
Indians' Longest Walk of 1978, the Long Walk for Survival of 1980, the World
Peace March of 1982 which started in Japan and walked around the world
ending with five routes across the US converging on the United Nations
Second Special Session on Disarmament with a million people gathering in
Central Park in New York, and the many walks since then across the US and
around the world inspired by the late most venerable Nichidatsu Fujii whom
Gandhi called his revered teacher (Guruji).

With the threat of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction
growing now even greater since the end of the "cold war", and with the
increasing effects of global climate change rendering untold damage and
suffering (as predicted by the Hopi and other spiritual prophecies being
voiced to deaf ears over the past five decades and explained as consequent
to errors in human thinking) it is past time now to take immediate and
decisive action to correct human thinking into harmony with the natural law
and order before it is too late to save all life on Earth.

For this reason we call upon all who understand this message to collaborate
with us now to mobilize local Global Peace Walks in communities across the
US and around the world, immediately, on a regular and increasing basis to
heal this affliction which has come upon humanity.  Even a one hour per week
regular local Global Peace Walk event in many communities, even if only
walking one mile from the library to city hall, if done with determination
and increasing numbers each week, will soon have an impact on reaching the
public and government policymakers with the known but suppressed solutions
to today's global crises.

If we recognize that all problems have the same root, this error in human
thinking, it will be easier to unite all survival issue messages into an
effective movement to correct thinking and resolve all the obstacles to
global peace and prosperity.   Historically, changes of this scope have only
occured resultant from massive public demonstrations as inspired and
exemplified by India's successful nonviolent spiritual revolution under
Gandhi's leadership.  To this end we must make these local peace walks a
popular activity and venue for the effective presentation of details on
survival issue messages and the nature and scope of today's global crisis
solutions.  Thusly can we begin to develop a culture of peace.

Not one person should doubt that we can have true global peace, justice and
prosperity
for less than half the cost of present day wars and preparations for wars.

Even if you cannot join one of the Global Peace Walk 2000 routes converging
next Summer on St. Louis to walk together to Washington, DC, or be at the
end of the walk for the rededication of the Washington Monument as a symbol
of peace (with perhaps more than a million people), you can help support
this effort by your networking and commitment to conduct regular local
Global Peace Walks in your community.

To help you in this regard we can make available copies of the many peace
messages, letters of support, and proclamations that we have received since
1995 from city mayors, other government officials, community and religious
leaders (including messages from the US President, Vice President, and US
representative to the United Nations).  Some of these are gradually being
posted on the website below including the most recent proclamations of
support from the mayors of Oakland and Berkeley, California.  With this
documentation you can secure a Global Peace Walk Day and/or Global Peace
Zone proclamation from your city mayor as has been issued by so many others
already.  In this way the resolve for "Global Peace Now!" may be propagated
all this year for a worldwide Global Peace Zone 2000.

The proposal for a Global Peace Walk 1999 route to start this year at the
United Nations in New York City on the day its General Assembly convenes,
September 15th, to arrive in Washington, DC, on United Nations Day, October
24th, will only be successful if activists in communities along the route
soon take the initiative to mobilize coordinated regular local peace walks
which can be then connected on a schedule this Fall along this route.

Our focus on the United Nations is to bring attention to the goals of its
original purpose to "remove the scourge of war from the future generations"
and to offer the way to eliminate the need for its continued involvement in
belligerent confrontations around the globe.

Please let me know directly if you will help coordinate these efforts in
your community.

For more information on this project, how you can help, and the video
documentary of our March 1st Global Crisis Solutions Conference at UC
Berkeley, see

    http://www.angelfire.com/on/GEAR2000
Global Emergency Alert Response:  GEAR2000
David Crockett Williams                661-822-3309
20411 Steeple Court, Tehachapi CA 93561 USA
        CAMPAIGN for a BETTER AMERICA
              with General Agency Services
FOR A UNITED NATION, One Nation Under God
                     Global  Peace  Walk
Annually:   22apr Taos, NM, --->  Santa Fe 26apr
1999:  15sep New York -> Washington DC 24oct
2000:  15jan  San Francisco --> New York  24oct
             15sep Washington, DC
     ONE HUMAN FAMILY:  Love All, Serve All.
       GLOBAL PEACE NOW !!     Help Now !!!
http://www.egroups.com/list/global-peace-walk