Re: Course requires police "dialog" with "mentally ill" FWD

Mike Steindel (CLaw7MAn@webtv.net)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:47:22 -0700 (PDT)

--WebTV-Mail-1412722095-15690

I wonder if any amount of dialogue or face to face meetings along with
training can change a thug with a bully mentality into an empathetic
caring individual that believes in human dignity. OK maybe thats not
entirely fair on my part not all cops are thugs, but many of them are.
Everytime I pick up a paper or read the newswires on the web I see
another report of police gunning down an unarmed citizen. Those that
aren't shot are suffocated in choke holds, or have copious amounts of
pepper spray applied to their face or are tortured with toilet plungers.
How much training does it take to turn those cops into a police force
that can deal with the mentally ill or the general public for that
matter. I hear President Clinton calling for 100's of millions to train
police to be better able to deal with the public.  How about hiring
people that have the skills necessary to get along in the first place...
And that last quip in the article from the defense attorney about
knowing 5 cops who didn't shoot fast enough, well how about all those
people the cops shot at to quickly... Whats the deal with constantly
defending cops blunders and racist attitudes. Many of them have a bias
against women, minorities, homeless and on and on why are they being
hired in the first place... Just my humble opinion... mike..

--WebTV-Mail-1412722095-15690