UFE: Training of Trainers for Activists - July 8-1 in Alfred, ME

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:15:29 -0700 (PDT)

FWD      Mon, 14 Jun 1999
From:    Steve Schnapp <sschnapp@peacenet.org>
Subject: Training of Trainers

Dear Friends of United for a Fair Economy (UFE):

UFE is once again offering an intensive (and fun) training of trainers
Institute, less than two hours from Boston -- in Alfred, Maine (the Notre Dame
Spiritual Center is located in a beautiful wooded area with two lakes for
swimming and boating and several hiking trails.) We strongly encourage
activists, teachers, organizers, anyone concerned about economic and social
justice, to join with us for four days of learning and sharing how to make
information and analysis about our economy accessible to all.

Please take a look at the information below. We apologize if you have already
received this e-mail message.

United for a Fair Economy Presents....

A Popular Economics Education Institute

An Intensive Training of Trainers for Activists Working for Social and
Economic Justice

       Thursday, July 8 - Sunday, July 11, 1999
        at the Notre Dame Spiritual Center in Alfred, Maine.

Lead Trainers: Chuck Collins and Felice Yeskel, Co-Directors; and Steve
Schnapp, Education Coordinator; United for a Fair Economy

This Institute is right for you if you are:

o       an activist, leader, or organizer working on issues of economic or
social justice;

o       an educator or trainer seeking to improve your teaching skills and
become more comfortable presenting economic information.

This Institute will give you the opportunity to:

o       learn more about recent economic trends, the rules and policies that
have contributed to growing economic insecurity, some history about popular
resistance to economic inequality in the U.S., strategies for reversing the
growing economic divide, and more;

o       explore and practice how to lead discussions and workshops on
economic inequality;

o       build community among others working for economic justice;

o       participate in a growing network of popular economics educators.

Schedule:

o       The Institute in Alfred, Maine begins on Thursday, July 8 at 9:00 am
and concludes at 3:00 pm on Sunday, July 11. Participants have the option of
arriving after dinner on Wednesday evening (July 7).

Sessions at the Institute will be conducted in the mornings, afternoons, and
evenings, with breaks provided during the day to allow participants to take
advantage of the recreational facilities available at the conference site.

The program features:

 -      a presentation of UFE's famous "Growing Divide - The Roots of Economic
Insecurity" workshop;

 -      time for small teams of participants to plan and practice activities
from "Growing Divide" workshop and then receive constructive feedback;

 -      sessions on Countering Difficult Questions; applying popular education
principles and practices to economic information; and mini-workshops on topics
such as An Introduction to Globalization, A Faith-Based Response to Economic
Inequality, Creative Action for a Fair Economy, and Ending Corporate Rule;

-       a Clinic on difficult training issues and difficult groups;

It is important that folks plan to attend the full Institute session in order
to get the maximum benefit of the training. Materials, including a Trainer's
Manual and a detailed agenda for the Institute, will be sent to all
registrants prior to the training to help participants prepare.

Institute Fees:
Fees are based on a sliding fee scale: $400 - $1,400, which  includes meals,
accommodations, and training materials. Transportation is not included. There
are limited funds available for a partial scholarship.

Early-Bird Discount:
Deduct $25 if we receive your registration before June 25 for Maine.

For a paper Registration Form or for more information:
Contact Lisa Goldman (617-423-2148 x 21) or Steve Schnapp (617-423-2148 x15)
or send us e-mail at stw@stw.org (attn: Ed Coordinator).

-------------------------
For E-registration or fax registration, answer the following questions (allow
3-4 days for confirmation):
1.  Specify Maine Institute
2.  Full name
3.  Organization
4.  Address
5.  City/State/Zip
6.  Phone
7.  Fax, Email
8.  Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions, allergies, or
disabilities so that we can make appropriate arrangements
9.  Fee being Paid ($400- $1,400; $25 off for registrations on or before 5/21,
scholarship application below)
10. Paying for UFE Membership ($25)?
11. Total Amount enclosed
12. Credit card (Visa or MasterCard?)
13. Card Number
14. Expiration Date
15. Date

-------------------------
We are committed to helping people figure out how to attend these Institutes.
Toward that end, we have established a modest scholarship fund. Priority will
be given to participants from low-income communities, or from low resource
and/or very low salary organizations, and to young people. Apply only if you
really need it.

For those applying for partial scholarships on the conference fee, please
answer the following:
16. What will it cost you to attend the Institute? (fee + travel and total)
17. How much financial assistance are you requesting?
18. What's the budget of your organization (if applicable)?
19. Is your organization paying part of your costs- how much?
20. What are you willing to do to get yourself to the institute (tap local
foundations, individual donors, etc.)?
21. Tell us something about yourself, your work, and how you fit into our
scholarship priorities.

United for a Fair Economy
37 Temple Place, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02111
TEL (617) 423-2148
FAX (617) 423-0191
e-mail: stw@stw.org
web: http://www.stw.org

END FORWARD

HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn>
5,000+ POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people