PEOPLE IN CRISIS

Joe Hart & Kay Lee (mrjah@flakeysol.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:06:43 -0500

Good Afternoon:
I'm forwarding this email because the conditions this death row inmate
describes and more have been done to drug war offenders, to marijuana
prisoners, to patients in prison for their medicine, even to innocent
victims of snitches, over zealous cops, crooked courts, and forfeiture
thieves.

It's a shame we've given up on trying to cure the murders and rapists (That
says a lot about our society).  It's a sin that we cannot end the lives of
people we condemn for heinous crimes without torturing them first (That says
more about us than it says about our prisoner).

But, to apply the same treatment to a pot smoker?  For God's sake, We have
to get them out of there.

Don't doubt it: It is very bad in prison. Medicine seems to be a primary
weapon, whether it be physical or mental. Ridicule and fear are heaped on
their heads. Sensory deprivation, mental manipulation, physical abuse; all
of it is going on. Its done to the worst of them, to the nonviolent, to the
patients, to the innocent behind bars. It could be done to you. It could be
your children.

That's why Amnesty International ( amnestyis@amnesty.org ) has gotten
involved. But we need to be involved. Citizens just like us are being
tortured and neglected in prison.

I believe, if the walls were transparent and the masses could see the
inhumanity inside, they would roar. If we called the warden, the Chaplin,
the doctors checking on things, registering complaints, just to say good
morning, we'd sure be on their minds.

If we would question the media about their onesided stories, look in the
eyes of the cops, be in the courtrooms, stand in front of jails, pray
outside the churches, sit in on congress - Sue them for every violation. Let
them know we are watching and disgusted.

What if everyone who knows there's something really wrong in Washington
joined forces however briefly?

What if we could overcome our egos, put aside our conflicts, step outside
our comfort zone, take time out of our lives to show them that we are dead
serious: That we're determined to pay the price to keep America free?

Imagine all the people? That would be one for the history books. But, if we
don't join forces, there may be nothing in the history books, except
'democracy failed.'

Kay Lee