Mental Health & Human Rights

Agent Smiley (smiley_777@hotmail.com)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:04:28 PDT

----Original Message Follows----
From: "institute@igc.org" <institute@igc.org>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Mental Health & Human Rights
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:28:13 -0500 (CDT)

Institute for Public Accuracy
915 National Press Building, Washington, D.C. 20045
(202) 347-0020 * http://www.accuracy.org * ipa@accuracy.org

Monday, June 7, 1999

MENTAL HEALTH

The White House Conference on Mental Health convened today in Washington.
These policy analysts are available for interviews:

DR. PETER BREGGIN, http://www.breggin.com

Author of "Talking Back to Prozac" and "Talking Back to Ritalin: What
Doctors Aren't Telling You About Stimulants for Children," Breggin said:
"Psychiatric drugs are far more dangerous than the public is led to believe.
The White House conference is trying to sell the American public on
psychiatric drugs and involuntary treatment..."

SALLY ZINMAN, http://www.cnmhc.org

Director of the California Network of Mental Health Clients, Zinman took
part in Monday's White House Conference on Mental Health. She is among
several invitees calling upon Tipper Gore and the administration to oppose
the increased use of involuntary psychiatric treatment. Zinman said: "I hope
to raise consciousness about the drive across the country to expand forced
treatment. It's a drive that is fueled by demonizing people with psychiatric
disabilities as causing violence in the country. I want to raise awareness
of the mental patients' movement and its achievements in the last 25 years
including the self-help peer support programs that exist across the
country."

DAVID OAKS, dendron@efn.org, http://www.mindfreedom.org

Co-coordinator of the Support Coalition International, Oaks said: "We have
several concerns about the approach that focuses on forced psychiatric
drugging instead of on support services and alternatives people can
voluntarily use. There are studies of MRI and CT scans that show the shape
and size of the brain change as the result of the long-term use of the
neuroleptic drugs. This makes it far more difficult for patients to come off
these drugs and can result in patients being left with even worse emotional
and mental problems. There are also two recent studies which show African
Americans are especially hard hit by the drugs typically used in psychiatric
procedures. They tend to be given the more powerful neuroleptic drugs more
quickly, more frequently, and at higher dosages than whites. We are seeing
an attitude that all behavioral problems have a biochemical cause and
therefore a biochemical solution. This view is being pushed by the
pharmaceutical industry. Already 39 states have laws on the books under
which people can be ordered to take drugs on an out-patient basis, even in
their own homes."

For more information, contact at the Institute for Public Accuracy:
Sam Husseini, (202) 347-0020, or David Zupan, (541) 484-9167

When I rise it will be with
the ranks and not from the ranks.
                --Eugene V. Debs

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html