Re: DENDRITE: White House Mental Health Conf. - OTHER SIDE OF

Thomas Cagle (nh-adapt@juno.com)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:18:51 -0400

From: "Julia Tetreault" <ladyjewel@altavista.net>
Subject: Re: DENDRITE: White House Mental Health Conf. - OTHER SIDE OF
THE STORY
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 04:31:19 -0400

Dear Tom, I 've read hundreds of pieces of mail and never realized, I
could
respond to them!  Ever since the big campaign to >deinstitutionalize all
our
mentally ill...And I believe it then became the responsibility of each
township, city or what not to "Take Care of it's own"  I have seen this
done
in Vt. and in Franklin...For example "Dean" name changed to protect
individual...He believes that he can stop the snow from falling if he
wears
shorts...The Community knows he's shitzophrenic and accepts the fact,
even
watches out for him...Matter of fact there are quite a few "Dean's" in
the
area...Then Clinton cut payments or nearly any funding to the
alcoholic/addict populations, which the numbers are quite high...When, I
was
hospitalized for 'bout two days last Summer, I asked "why are all the
re-hab
wards completely empty in this hospital?"  The nurse claimed that no
insurances nor the Govmt. were willing to pay to treat them anymore...I
guess that's why they all roam about day and night jobless and
worse...Several so-called experts in the field have told me that, it
really
doesn't matter because 90-some odd percent of all mentally ill cases are
all
treated with the same drugs spoken of in this writing, so there is no
real
need to hospitalize a person.  "Forced hospitalization", I really doubt
it,
when they can just throw you a pill.  What I feel needs to be put on the
plate out there, is more factual info. about what these antiquated meds.
are
doing to our population as a whole.  I work with medicine and they
prescribe
alot of these types of meds. for simple things like vomiting ie. "Haldol
has
an anti-nausea effect"...The trick is...To read the part in one's
"pill/drug
book" under the header> UNLABLED USES...And in my experience I've seen
Drs.
use such heavy meds, when an over the counter med. would 'prolly work
just
as well.  I almost think, they feel that the mass majority are just all
psychotic...And dole out the big guns for a non-mental condition in the
first place.   Lady BlueRose ---,---,---,<{@,