RAINBOW GATHERING DIRECTIONS near Ridgway, PA June28-July10 Howdy

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 14:52:07 -0700 (PDT)

FWD

Subject: HOWDY FOLKS!!!!
From: joaneef@aol.com (JoaneeF)
Date: 1999/06/05
Newsgroups: alt.gathering.rainbow

Howdy Folks!  Welcome Home!
To the 28th Annual
RAINBOW GATHERING OF THE TRIBES
FOR WORLD PEACE & HEALING
JUNE 28 - JULY 10, 1999
ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST, PENNSYLVANIA

We, who are sisters and brothers, Children of God, families of life on Earth,
friends of nature and of all people, children of Humankind calling ourselves
Rainbow Family tribe, humbly invite: all races, peoples, tribes, communes, men,
women, children, individuals - out of love; all nations and national leaders -
out of respect; all religions and religious leaders - out of faith; all
politicians - out of charity; to join with us in gathering together for the
purpose of expressing our sincere desire that there shall be peace on Earth,
harmony among all people . . . and to hold upon worship, prayer, chanting, or
whatever is the want or desire of the people beginning the 28th day of June,
but upon the 4th day of July, at noon, to ask that there be a meditative
contemplative silence wherein we, the invited people of the world, may consider
and give honor and respect to anyone or anything that has aided in the positive
evolution of humankind and Nature upon this, our most beloved and beautiful
world - asking blessing upon we people of this world and hope that we people
can effectively proceed to evolve, expand and live in

This is a Spiritual Gathering, absolutely Free & non-commercial, supported by
our voluntary cooperation.  We are here to express and rejoice in the
sacredness of ourselves, nature, the land, and the spirit that connects us all.
 Tread lightly, with great respect, as you enter the Cathedral of Nature.
 join in this unique event - The Rainbow Gathering of the Tribes.

DIRECTIONS
>From the North , Northeast & Northwest  Hwys.  90, 17, & 6 lead to US 219 south
to Ridgway.

>From the South, East & West take Interstate 80 to exit 18 and follow US 153
north.  At Penfield  take US 255  to St. Marys and take PA 120 west  to
Ridgway. Heavy, large vehicles PLEASE use this route.
Cars and small Vans only may use Interstate 80 to exit 16 and follow US 219 to
Ridgway.
Warning:  US 219 North is steep, twisty and dangerous for large rigs - DO NOT
USE THIS ROUTE.  If you are checking a map for another route coming from the
south also avoid 949 north as it leads to Arroyo Road which has a narrow bridge
with a 3 Ton limit.

RIDGEWAY
In Ridgway at the intersection of Main St. and Broad you will see a Sheets
Convenience Store on left go straight through 4 lights.  Site is approx. 9
miles.  Go up a steep hill and over a narrow bridge.  Speed limit is 30 mph.
You'll see a sign for Little Drummer, keep driving. There is a sign for ATV
Timberline Trailhead. Then at the intersection of Arroyo Rd and Spring Creek
Rd. make a right onto FS 136 (not marked, dirt road).  Go north 4.5 miles
towards Owls Nest.  Welcome Home!!!
Follow speed limits - 20 mph on dirt roads.

Come home safely, take care of each other along the way.  Make sure your
vehicles are safe and street legal.  Ignore all rumors of cancellation,
regardless of source.  If you cannot be with us in person on the 4th of July be
with us in spirit by joining in the silence.
WE LOVE YOU!
*Please reprint and pass along.
~~~~~~~~
Our right to Gather on "National Forest" lands, which are held in trust for us
and our posterity, is protected by the First Amendment and that is the only
PERMIT necessary.  Please do not sign any permits for "Rainbow Family
Gathering".
 "Congress shall make no law respecting...religion, speech, press; or the right
of the people peaceably to assemble.  Do administrated agencies now have powers
that the Constitutions specifically withheld from congress? Applying for
'permits' gives authority to "authorities" to participate in the 'control' of
people assembling, and 'permit' a strong 'police presence', and the further
ends of the 'control' agenda are met!

Hello & thanks to the folks of Ridgway who were such a big help in our 1986
Gathering.  We are happy to be back and plan for a fruitful relationship. See
you at the Gathering!

To all organizations and friends: The Rainbow Family is not in need of
clothing. Please donate to folks who can use them instead of bringing to the
Gathering.

Endangered species: The Indiana Bat. Local conservation groups have a court
order stopping the cutting down of any standing trees, living or dead, in the
Allegheny National forest to save the endangered Indiana Bat.  Please don't cut
living or dead standing trees.

Timber Rattlesnakes are native to this area and live in the rock beds, make
noise if walking through this area to warn them of your presence.  The area is
roped off, but If you see one leave it alone and walk away.  We are in a marshy
area, mosquitoes may be annoying.  Ticks may be in the tall grassy areas.

DECLARE ALL PREVIOUS JULY GATHERING SITES SACRED
~~~~~~~~
BRING ALL GOOD THINGS!
(Personal items are a must - all else is optional)
PERSONAL ITEMS: Your own bowls, cups, utensils, personal water containers,
water jugs, portable shelter, camping equipment, sleeping bags, blankets, mats,
flashlights and extra batteries, camp shovel, camp tools, rope.  Temperatures
on the Allegheny Plateau can be as high as 100 or low as 40 this time of year.
Prepare for both humid, sunny days & thundershowers. Bring rain gear, layered
clothing, hiking footwear (there is at least a 2 mile walk from the trailhead
to main circle), sunscreen & a hat. Bring toiletry supplies including extra
toilet paper, menstrual necessities, biodegradable soaps & shampoos, & first
aid supplies, snake bite kit.  Bring acoustical instruments. Rafts & tubes for
swimming! If you're able, please bring extra items (esp. blankets) to share
w/someone less prepared.  Please bring bags to take out your trash &
recyclables.

The Magic Hat: This is where the money comes from to pay for most of the food
you eat, gas for the shuttles, supplies for C.A.L.M., batteries for the hand
held radios, and any other necessary items. Please, put your green energy into
the Hat early to fund this gathering. The Hat is passed around at evening meals
and with the Magic Hat band during the day.  Money from the hat goes into the
Rainbow Bank on the Land.  Banking Councils are held everyday.  There is only
one magic hat.  Some kitchens & camps may pass a hat for their specific needs.
Be aware whom you give money to.  There is no charge for anything here.

KID'S VILLAGE: A co-operative community for our kids and their families.  Bring
all types of arts & crafts supplies and play materials that encourage
peacefulness & cooperation. Talented entertainers always welcome to help
co-create a safe kids space with workshops, playshops, pageants and parades.
Fresh Goats Milk is appreciated. Please bring cloth diapers. Kid Village is not
a drop off point or free babysitting. Parental responsibility & participation
in childcare is the key.  Know whom you leave your children with.

C.A.L.M.:  The Center for Alternative Living Medicine invites medicine people,
therapists & counselors of all disciplines to harmonize, work & learn together.
 This is our healing area.  If you get sick or are hurt or have a contagious
disease, get yourself to C.A.L.M.  Donations of medical and herbal items are
welcome. CALM has a Magic Hat to supplement it's needs. Check the C.A.L.M.
website for the wish list: http://www.infolation.com/calm

SANITATION:  Wash your hands/wash your dishes - keep clean! LATRINE needs:
metal buckets for ash or lime (bring lime). Multi-gallon plastic jugs w/ spigot
& bleach for hand wash. 2 lb. coffee cans w/ lids (keeps toilet paper dry),
toilet paper, spades to dig latrines with.  For BATHING bring solar showers,
shower hoses, buckets, biodegradable soap & shampoos. For LAUNDRY bring
biodegradable detergents, bleach, clothesline, buckets, wash basins, & hand
cranked wringer.  A plunger and a bucket make a great portable washing machine!

TOOLS & MATERIALS: Mark tools for identification.  Bring shovels, axes, picks,
tamper bar, saws, mauls, hatchets, sledge hammers & rakes.  Account for your
tools: know who they are with & where they'll be.  Bring lanterns (candle,
kerosene or oil), rolls of plastic, twine & lots of rope.  APPROPRIATE
TECHNOLOGY: solar panels, wind & water generators. Bring animal or people
carts, wagons, & wheelbarrows to bring in gear.

LARGE SHELTER:  Tipis, parachutes, yurts, big tents, plastic & tarps for
community use.  Be responsible and take them with you after the gathering.

FOOD: Please bring bulk food for the kitchens, snacks for you and friends to
keep with you.  Kitchens range from raw food to macrobiotic & from total
vegetarian to omnivorous.

For KITCHENS: Bring large stainless steel pots, large cast iron pans, big woks,
stirring paddles, large cooking & serving utensils, large insulated hot food
containers for feeding in Main Circle, big bowls, grates for fires, lots of 5
gal. Buckets, large water containers biodegradable soap, vinegar, bleach,
washcloths, sponges & scrub pads. Propane cooking reduces smoke levels.  Keep
your kitchens clean.  Healthy food keeps the camp healthy.  There is no road
into the site so everything must be carried via the trail.

COMMUNICATING: Pens, markers, crayons, paper, pushpins, staplers, clear plastic
(2 mil or heavier), sign making materials, poster board, paint, plywood, town
criers w/bells & notebooks.

PLEASE keep boom boxes, ATV's, helicopters & chainsaws away from the gathering
itself.

CLEANUP:  All garbage, litter & recycling in your camp is your responsibility
to take out and faraway from the gathering site.  If you see litter pick it up
and take it away.  Bring your recycled plastic shopping bags to share.  Take in
only what is necessary as it is a long walk out.

SHUTTLE VEHICLES: Need vehicles and crews to shuttle from parking areas to
front gate, CB's for shuttle drivers and parking lots. Drivers be aware of the
gas lines and don't drive on them.

It's a  large  site, camp on high ground as springs, streams and creeks run
through the bottom.  The area is delicate. ALL  kitchens, latrines and camps
must be at least  200 ft. away from streams and creeks.  Protect the springs we
drink from - please stay away from those areas. Keep dogs out of them.
    A HEALTHY CAMP IS A HAPPY CAMP!
~~~~~~~
RAP 107
     Please protect this Beautiful Land.
    Walk softly. Harm no living thing. Harmonize - Blend in.  Use only down,
dead wood.  Cut no living trees.  Preserve the MeadowsÖcamp in the Woods.  We
are caretakers of this land.
Everyone sharing makes a strong Human Tribe!
   Please Protect the Water Sources by staying out of DELICATE spring areas.
Avoid camping, peeing, washing above spring areas.  Keep ALL soap out of
streams, springs or the creek!  Use a bucket to take your bath at least 60 feet
away from the water source.  To be certain drinking water is safe: boil it!
   Use the slit trenches or covered latrines - cover your paper & waste with
ashes or lime, wash hands after.  Break the fly/illness connection:
shit-fly-food-you!  Dig no shitters near water areas or kitchens.
Protect our Health!
   Use your own cup, bowl & spoon!  Wash them after eating and rinse in
bleach-water. Visit C.A.L.M./M.A.S.H. if you feel ill - especially if you have
a contagious disease - or are injured.
   Camp Together - Establish neighborhoods.  Community Fires only! ~ Each with
5 gallon bucket with water and shovel for Fire Protection.  If you are the last
to leave a fire PUT IT OUT!  Please, NO Fireworks! Watch your gear: Be
Responsible ~ "Tempt Not Lest Ye Be Lifted From."
   Pets are discouraged but if you must bring them keep them fed, on a leash
and out of the kitchens, springs & fights.  Clean up their poop.  Love them.
         PACK IT IN  - PACK IT OUT !!!
   Cleanup begins when you arrive.  Bring in only what is necessary.  There is
no janitor hereÖyou are the cleanup crew.  Separate garbage for recycling.
Please don't litter.  Compost in pits only.
   You are the Gathering!  Participate in Shanti Sena (the peace keepers
council), activities, councils, work crews, workshops.  Volunteer wherever
needed: kitchens, welcome home, firewatch, parking lot, shitter digging,
supply, front gate, etc.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T your Sisters & Brothers energies.
Keep the Balance: Earth, Sky, Trees, Water & People!
   Alcohol is Discouraged, Weapons are Inappropriate, Violence is contrary to
the Spirit of the Gathering.  Please take no photographs or videos of people
without permission.  Discourage Drug Abuse.
   Buying and selling endangers our legal right to be here.  The Magic Hat  is
our Bank, donate early to fund our needs.  The Magic Hat goes around at
mealtime circles and with the Magic Hat band.
Our power together is many times our power separated.
   Enjoy the Rainbow with an open heart and you Will see the Vision.
   Join us for July 4th Silent Contemplation & Prayer for Peace, respect those
aintaining silence from dawn.  ©Hold the silence until the arrival of the
Children's Parade.

RAP 701
   In preparation for leavingÖPack up all your trash/recyclables and take it
away.  Take it far away. Do not impact the small towns near the gathering.  If
you can't take it with you drop it in the collection area.
   Dismantle and disappear your encampment.  Pick up your litter.  If you don't
someone else will have to.  Vanish ALL traces.  Douse your fire, ashes cold,
scatter your fire rocks.  Replace turf.
    Fill in your local latrine and compost holes solidly with lime and soil.
Latrine tops are burned. Remove string and twine from tree limbs.  Break up
hardened ground with shovels or picks for future root growth and moisture
catch.  Intermix humus from forest ground if possible.
   NATURALIZE!  When an area is clear and clean scatter logs, branches, leaves
to look natural.  Disappear trails, renew forest habitat.  Water systems are
removed, cleaned and stored for next year.
   Help with disabled vehicles, fully dismantle ramps and bridges.  Water bar
steep places to prevent erosion.   The final crew re-seeds with appropriate
vegetation to complete the process.
   Transport as many riders as possible out of the area.  Treat local folks
with great kindness.
   Drive safely and share this love wherever you go.
   !!!WE LOVE YOU !!!

END FORWARD

HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn>
5,000+ POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people