Re: Do homeless people review shelters & providers where you live?

mikala bembery (mikalabeit@hotmail.com)
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 09:21:06 PDT

Hey Now!

I lived in a rooming house, I couldn't access family shelter in MA   because
I was working parttime to eat and keep my sanity. The income limit for a
mother and child is about $1000 a month.

The house was run by a women's group and they didn't give a shit about the
people living there. the worst part was that once I moved in and eventually
couldn't keep my job, I was considered housed and still ineligible for
shelter.

To get to the main question- the women's group left the house for more
suitable office space once they found funding. once they left it was even
more of a free for all than it already was. We had a murder happen in a
clearing: they denied knowing about this murder's occupancy. We had fire
alams going off on a regular basis triggered by the plumbing(?)- after
awhile the firemen would start to get angry with us and get rude until I
said hey we just live here - and pay $65 a week to do it!  We had a house
manager that set up a fist fight between a tenant and a guest of a tenant.
she set the date and left them in the house where of course the fight went
off before schedule.

Manbny other things went down I can't even write it all and you probably
don't want to hear it but The bottom line is we went to the court, the board
of health , the press , the funders and no one really gave a shit. so what
do you do ? we have to give a shit about eachother.
Mikala